Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Getting baby to sleep though the night - tips please?

Our LO was born at 31 weeks due to me getting pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. He is fine, but a bit small. He is 8lbs 2 oz now which is great, but at night still feeds every 3 hours...how do i get him to start sleeping Any help is appreciated?

Thanks....

Replies

• Options

Hi Claire, how is LO fed?  It's not uncommon for breastfed babies to wake overnight for feeds (many will do this for several months after birth) whilst formula fed babies may sleep slightly longer though again it'll come down to the individual baby & the amount they have before bedtime.

Babies will sleep better after a feed so it will get easier as they get older & start weaning onto solid foods.  For the time being just be patient, it is still early days for LO to have a set routine in place.

• Options

when baby come in home first every body seem very happy and excited, usually baby dont sleep whole night but this post is very use ful for new mothers latest baby quotes

• Options

What works for me is that you can give them a nap in the middle of the day, and then they get more used to sleeping. I know it sounds weird because she would be getting more sleep and be less tired, but it has worked for me and hopefully it will work for you too! Best of luck!

-----------------------------------------------------

Rosie

http://topkidsreview.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Top-Rated-Baby-Gifts-for-First-Time-Mothers-Review

• Options

Hungry baby milk before bed. It really fills them up so they sleep better

• Options
    Bunny Bumpkin wrote (see)

Hungry baby milk before bed. It really fills them up so they sleep better

I have tried this before, and I'm not sure if it really works or not. I have given this to baby before several times and sometimes it has worked and other times it seems like it didn't do anything. So I am not sure whether it is the forumula helping him, or he is just getting used to sleeping sometimes. Best of luck!

---------------------------------------

Rosie

http://topkidsreview.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Top-Rated-Second-Baby-Shower-Gifts-Review

• Options

Have your spouse help you at night.  You can pump your milk and leave it in the regrigerator for your husband to feed the baby.  Up to the 3rd month, the baby will wake to feed.  You can give him cereal in the milk to fill him more, just don't give him rice cereal.  Rice cereal will constipate him.  The other cerealls are ok.  I use to give my baby and she woke every 5 hours to feed.

• Options

My little girl has been sleeping right through since she was 5 weeks. I never spoke to her at night, made sure there wasn't lots of light in the room at any time (we slept with the bedroom door ajar and the hall light on) lastly if she ever woke up for a bottle during the night the following I would give her a little extra milk in each bottle so she would have enough throughout the day to keep her going at night. Eg if she had 4 oz during the night I would put her day bottles up by 1 oz each. 

It worked a treat for us. My little girl needed a set routine very early on. She was always like clock work if u were late feeding her u would know all about it!! She's now 17 months and still sleeps right through

good luck xx

• Options

Have you tried a dream feed? I never did it with my lo but have been reading about them x

• Options

Are you breast feeding? Mother's milk has eved morerything babies need (and more) but it's not as filling as formula. Mother's who exclusively breast feed tend to view formula as poison. It doesn't hurt a baby to drink some formula before bed. Nurse regularly and then give him some formula on top of it - he'll get everything nursing provides an a little help sleeping

• Options

Thanks for all the comments, he is sleeping a lot better now.

We have put it down to being a bit bigger and being able to take more milk! He sleeps for 4 or 5 hours at night!

We tried the dream feed but it didn't seem to make a difference!

Thanks again,