Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Would you take him to the GP?

J has had a cough for about a month now, he was mainly coughing through the night but over the past week it's got worsened he's coughing all day as well and it sounds quite nasty. Should I take him to the doctors? Can they do anything for a cough?

Replies

• Options

They can't do anything for a cough but they probably should check him over. There may be an underlying cause for the cough which they can do somethign about, if that makes sense?

• Options

I'd take him just because it's been going on so long, but like QI says they possibly won't do a lot - I know when C was a baby and had a cough nearly all winter, they eventually gave us an inhaler and spacer thing, but actually getting him to put it over his face was almost impossible.  He still seems to have a cough thoughout the winter on and off, although it's not been too bad this year.  x

• Options

Yes I would take him

• Options

Yes I would. When I had this with Louie he had a chest infection

• Options

Thanks, I've tried to get him an appt but there isn't any for 10 days so the receptionist took my number and is going to give me a ring if there's any cancellations.

• Options

Were there no appointments with another Dr?

• Options

That's crap about the appointments - I know at my doctors if you ring certain times of the day (8.30am and 2pm I think) you can almost always get in the same day for something that can't wait.  

• Options

if he has a chest infection they will give anti b. place your hand on hisback and get him to breathe in and out? does he feel like hes rattling? if so its prob his chest. docs wont do anything for a cough on its own though.

• Options

I thought they had to see a child that day?

• Options

Put Vicks on his feet at bedtime and cover with socks. Works a treat!

• Options

They will only see him if it's an emergency. Ally I've been doing that every night, I've got through 2 tubs in a month.

• Options

They can't see him til next Friday so I'm going to take him to a walk in centre this afternoon.

• Options

Hope he feels better soon.

• Options
    I got an urgent appointment yesterday, he's got antibiotics for a chest infection.
  • Options

Good job you followed your instinct and got him checked out SW. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon and he's better asap.