Forum home Babies Weaning
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Weaning: Baby with a sweet tooth?

Hi ladies,

I've been weaning A for almost 3 weeks now. Combination of spoon fed and baby led but it seems to be a real struggle getting her to eat anything savoury.

She'll eat vegetables if I persist but she inhales any fruit sent her way! She even prefers sweet vegetables like parsnips and sweet potato...

Can babies develop a sweet tooth? Should I not give her so much fruit until she eating vegetables more?

TIA

X

Replies

• Options

Sounds perfectly normal to me! I wouldn't say she'll develop a sweet tooth it's just generally what babies prefer. Just stick with offering veg. I read somewhere (can't remember the source) that it can take up to three attempts of trying something before a baby decides whether they like it or not. Perseverance is key xx

• Options

Thanks Mrs B!

• Options

I think most babies are pre-disposed to like sweeter things, I know S does. Just keep offering her a mix. S went through a phase of refusing all green veg but if we were having it, I'd give him some even if I knew he was going to throw it. He eats it now, although he would definitely live off petit filous if I let him ;)

• Options

Just keep offering a variety of food and she'll take what she needs. If you're doing BLW there isn't any need to spoon feed you can just preload the spoon & either put it on her tray or hand it directly to her & let her feed herself so she has control of what she's eating. Do you eat the same things at the same time? Babies love to watch us & mimic what we do & I found that having the family eating altogether & eating the same things she would eat the same things as us a lot of the time. Try not to worry, it's all about tastes, textures & exploring in the early days of weaning as she learns that food is there to fill her up. & some babies take longer than others to eat x

• Options

Thanks ladies!