Forum home Pregnancy Baby names
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Me and my sister like the same baby name

Hi just looking for some friendly opinions

As the title says, both my sister and I like the same name for a girl. We found this out about a year or so ago when chatting about names, she became very protective over the name saying she's having it, it's hers, I cant have it as she's liked it from day one! 

She has 3 boys, I have one of each, I had my daughter first, and had that name set for my second, but had my son Before! So apparently this makes her superior to the name, even though we didn't know we liked the same name until way after my son was born! 

Anyway, just found out that I'm due another girl in march! Haven't told my sister yet, so instead said we are booking a gender scan, i thought it would have cooled down by now, but nope, she gave me the same speech! Said she hopes Im having a boy as that's her girls name set out for when and if she has a girl 

well I snapped back and said if it's a girl it's set in stone, and that she can't claim the name! A while later she wrote back completly changing her tune saying that it wouldn't bother her and that she's not claiming any name, she's not planning on any more kids at the moment anyway

Now I'm feeling guilty, and think she's lying! I'm quite close to my sister, love this name and so do my kids, but don't want her to have any bad feelings, feeling like I've stole the name! 

I no we can't claim a name though and I wouldn't mind if it was the other way around! 

Am I just over thinking? Husband says I am and it's my hormones haha!! What would you do? 

Thanks in advace! X

Replies

• Options

Anyone? 

• Options

Hi Hollsbxx. Sounds like you and your sister are in a bit of a difficult situation! People always feel so strongly about baby names, don't they? It's really hard.

My best friend and I had a similar situation, actually. I really liked Millie for a girl and so did she. I got pregnant first and she was really quite peed off about it all and kept making comments about Millie being 'her' name and everything.

I found it all really hard - especially as my husband and I couldn't agree on any other girls' names we liked! I almost starting wishing I was having a boy.

In the end, we did call our girl Millie and when we told my best friend, we also told her the baby's middle name was Ella - which is my best friend's name! She didn't seem to be so upset about the whole Millie thing after that...

Hope you can sort things out with your sister in the end!

• Options

Hi evespudding.... Thank you so much for replying! :)

After seeing that I had no replies to this post lol, I thought I would just go ahead and let my sister know about gender and name, as we decided we really want it and like you, couldnt think of any other name, no point dwelling on it! We said we had had a gender scan today! 

well let's just say I could hear the dissapointment straight away!! when I told her she said oh well ok, when she didn't congratulate me, I asked why and she said she didn't need to congratulate me as she did when I was pregnant! 

Well I got of the phone, had a little cry and then picked myself back up again!! no one owns a name, and I dont think it's fair for someone to tell you to not have it in hope that they may have a child of that gender one day! It felt right for us as a family!

im sure she will get over it, I hope so anyway! 

Im glad things worked out for you and your friend! Lovely to use her second name :) why does some things have to be so hard haha! Xx

• Options

Aw, poor you. I'm sorry her reaction made you cry - that's all you need when you're pregnant, isn't it? As if we're not emotional enough already!

I'm sure she'll get over it and at least you've given her a few weeks to do that. If you'd waited till the birth, I'm sure you both would have felt a lot worse about it.

When your baby due, by the way? we have some lovely Birth Clubs on here - I could point to to the right one, if you like?

• Options

the joys of hormones! :p

Yh I feel now that we have made the Right choice! So hope it does all cool down soon enough :) cant wait to start baby shopping! the rest of the family are very happy for us! Will tread a little carefully for a little while! 

Im due 10th March :) Im not really one for chatting in groups, but thank you so much anyway!! :) xx

• Options

awww huni hard situation but you enjoy your bundle of joy and use the name. if shes not even pregnant. my sister stole my boy name as she gave birth few weeks before me....fuming

• Options

I would defohave the name your pregnany first 😇