Forum home Babies Sleep
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

5 month old just doesn't seem to want to sleep for any longer than two hours!

Sometimes I feel like my 5 month old is one of a kind when it comes to sleeping! So hoping for some tips or even just to see if anyone else's baby has a similar sleeping pattern (: 

My little lady is exclusively breastfed and sleeps in a crib. 

I start getting prepared to put her down to sleep from around 7 and still it can take me to around 11 to get her to settle. It takes me atleast 3 attempts of putting her in the crib to settle for any amount of time. She can then be up sometimes every hour, two hours if I'm lucky!

People then say well catch up on your sleep during the day but the problem is, my little lady will have two half an hour naps during the day at best! I sometimes spend longer rocking her or walking her to sleep than she actually sleeps for. She gets over tired which doesn't help when trying to get her to sleep,.  

I am currently living with family so I am aware that some of this may be to do with me trying to keep her quiet at night so she gets whatever she wants to get to sleep quicker!

She also always wants to be fed or rocked to sleep, no way will she just fall asleep even if she's having a cuddle! 

So any tips would be appreciated or even hearing someone else has the same problem would be helpful! 

Replies

• Options

Sounds like my little girl (who is now 4 years old) Basically my daughter wans't settling into a deep sleep - it got so bad, we hired a sleep trainer, who essentially, with a lot of hand holding, we let her cry it out - i know it's not for everyone, esp as you are living with a family. 

Basically id put her to bed, and say 'goodnight, bed time'

i would go in every 2min, then 4 mins, then 8 mins etc

i would not pick her up, just say same thing over and over, goodnight, bed time, then leave. 

It took 3 nights of this, and then on night 4, she went straight into a deep sleep. 

like i said leaving babies to cry isn't for everyone, so this is a bit more a gentler approach. good luk x