Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bonding with my 3 year old

I have a 3 and a half year old son and a 12 week old daughter. I have been really struggling at the moment with my son. He is a good boy and after getting over the initial jealousy he felt when the new baby arrived he has been ok but I’m seriously struggling to bond with him again. I had such a great relationship with him but now I feel really disconnected. I drop him off at nursery as he does mornings every day and then when I pick him up I don’t want to play with him or really do anything with him. He always seems to want me when I’m trying to feed my daughter and she is suffering badly with colic so she takes up a lot of my time at the moment. I feel like I’m always cross with him, telling him off and I just don’t know how to get better. It’s almost as if I have post natal depression with him! Any help out there as I’m so upset with myself and I’m struggling. 

Replies

• Options
    Hi there! This never happened to me.. yet since I only have one child but I think you and my sister are in the same situation.

She has a 2-year-old boy and a 1-year-old girl and since the younger one needs extra attention, she's spending more time with her. Sometimes she feels guilty because she gets upset with her eldest easily. She also doesn't know why she suddenly felt that. The thing is, you're not alone. There are many moms who are feeling the same thing, too and there's nothing to be ashamed about.

The best thing to do, I believe, is to talk to a medical professional especially if you think things are getting worse. You can also try spending more time with your 3 year old. Perhaps go outside, eat together, or just have a play date. It may not be easy at first but eventually, you'll get better. Hope this helps.