Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

baby clothes - please humour a first-timer!

2»

Replies

• Options
    thanks for all the advice! i'm so glad i asked this - you've all been sohelpful! i'd heard from a few people that baby will live in sleepsuits for the first few month so not to bother with many newborn/ 0-3 outfits, but its interesting to see how many of you dressed your babies properly from the start - i might have to re-think!
    xxx
  • Options
    Just an extra note on sizes - my baby was 8lb 11.75oz and fitted in newborn until he was 4/5 weeks old as 0-3 buried him. Not many people buy you newborn stuff either (i got alot of 3-6, 6-9) so dont forget to buy newborn.

Also, beware of shop sizes, they are all so different. I've been sorting out the wardrobe today and his 6-12months Primark stuff is equivalent to 3-6month Next. If i'd have waited till he was 6months, he'd of outgrown the Primark clothes without even wearing them, so handy hint to try up against babba rather than the age range.
    (Tesco/Boots and BHS are awful for shrinkage too if you've got a tumble dryer)

xx
  • Options
    I have now been shopping image and have 20+ sleepsuits and 5 sets of clothing If were going out or having people come over i will dress baby if were having a day in or just taking tyler to school then sleepsuits are easier to wash and dry - no ironing lol
  • Options

I had the same concerns when was expecting my first one but you really need very little! At night we wear a sleepsuit (long sleeves and legs with feet in) and at night long sleeve vest, cardigan and trousers (the ones covering the feet or alternatively put socks on). I bought hats and mittens and loads of vests but really there isn't a need! She's one month old now and already outgrown many items - some she wore only once!!! They grow so fast so really no need to get too many things. Moreover, there's a washing machine so, if done regularly, same outfits can be used.

• Options
    edited Jun 2, 2022 10:27AM
    Comfort is very important for children, so when choosing clothes, it is necessary to check two criteria: the quality of the seams, they should not rub the skin, and the absence of synthetic fibers that can cause allergies. These requirements should be observed as long as possible, and not only the first months of the baby's life. It is from this that the further condition of your baby's skin is formed, which, of course, is not unimportant. In addition, I also bought a funny hat for the baby using the website https://www.amazon.com/Personalized-Baby-Newborn-Customized-Gifts/dp/B07PG9Z5X4/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07PHGWGZW&th=1&psc=1.