Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

VBAC Advice on monitoring

Hi

Just wanted some advice really.

I had a section with my daughter due to only getting to 4cm and they were concerned about her heartbeat.

I really wanted to have a vbac this time as it is something I really want to experience and although I shouldn't it does make me feel like a bit of a failure.

When I went into the delivery suite last time they told me to get on the bed and put the monitors on me and left me with my DH. When I got a contraction I freaked out as I wanted to stand up but couldn't because of all the monitors. My DH ended up pressing the panic alarm to get a midwife to come and they took everything off me. I then sat on the chair with the gas and air and stood up for every contraction. They put the monitors back on me in the morning when it was a change or shift and I sat on the birthday ball which was great for me but they couldn't get a consistent enough reading as the straps kept moving when I bounced. Eventually I had pethidine which sent me sleepy and I had the fetal monitor on Millie's head and was ok lying on the bed. After 36 hours I was only 4cm and ended with a section which I was upset about. Once I had the spinal block I was fine and the section went smoothly. I ended up with a drain which was the most horrendous thing when they removed it, I cried like a baby

Now i know they like to monitor you more when you have had a previous section but I am worried I won't cope with being confined to the bed.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a VBAC where you were able to move around without being constantly monitored. Or if they failed to progress first time but was a totally different story second time round.

I aim to stay at home as long as possible this time but worry about coping with the pain

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Milkiemoo x

Replies

• Options
    Hi

Good news re monitoring, I tried for a vbac after failure to progress and pre eclapmsia in my first pregnancy. They monitored me a lot but i said i couldnt sit still so they attached me to a long lead and i was able to move around ok, every now and then i had to try and lie still for 5 minutes just to get a good trace but most of the time I was upright.

Re staying at home as long as poss, I was advised by consultant that i had to go in early due to risk of scar rupture but dont know if thats the same everywhere.

Unfortunatly I failed to progress again and do feel sad that i havent had a proper labour but blimmin pleased i tried.

Hope you get the birth you want xxDBXx
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses

I will just have to go with the flo and hope it goes to plan

• Options
    thanks for posting this, if we decide to have another lo in the future i'll be in exactly the same position as you so the replies to this are interesting to me too, thanks image x

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2132/213237.png

• Options
    sorry, double post x

[Modified by: mrsjbourne on September 30, 2008 08:32 PM]

• Options
    please dont think that i am one of those midwifes on here to get on your nerves, make anyone guilty or anything because i promise i am not.

what i ask you to consider is why it is recommended that you are monitored and have IV access, and why it is requested that you go in hospital earlier than what you may have done first time.

yes, it is all because of scar rupture. this is a potentially life theatening problem, and unfortunately i have seen it more than i would have liked to.

i'm not saying "argh! have a c/s" cos i'm not!, but by monitoring your contractions, and by keeping a trace of your babies heart rate, any indication of your baby being unhappy, or that your scar is starting to rupture can be seen on the tracing. no midwife has any issue at all with you mobilising - we'd rather you did!, but we also need to make sure that the heart rate can still be picked up when you are off shuffling somewhere.

as for coming in earlier - a normal labourer would be asked (if she could stand it) to come into hospital when her pains were every 3-4 mins. our unit would ask previous c/s girls to come in at every 5 mins (as a rule), just so we can make sure.

i promise that no-one does anything to p*** you off on purpose, what is recommended by your trust is what they feel is best practice for you. everyone wants the outcome to be a healthy baby, and although it may not be exactly what you would plan for just ask for their reasons in why they are advising something.

again, please dont think i've posted to wind anyone up / offend them /etc, i'm still a mum first and would hate to upset anyone.
    xxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi ollier2001

Thanks for your response, its good to see a view from another perspective. It hadn't even crossed my mind about why they have to monitor you so much and not something I have discussed with my midwife a great deal.

I do really want a vbac and am trying to mentally prepare myself for coping with labour. Who knows it might be totally different this time round. It does get me down that so many other woman can do it but I couldn't but I need to stop thinking like that

I was hoping to find some antenatal breathing classes to help but there is nothing in my area.

X
  • Options
    doesnt it mean though if you have to be monitored so closely that you cant get into a good position for labour. the worry i have with a vbac is that its as far from a matural birth as i'd imagine.
    i've been told no water, constant monitoring, iv drip for insulin/fluids(i have diabetes) and with the spd i cant physically get into too many positions. surely then i have to be on the bed.
    i thought vbacs have a success rate of around 60-80% and for me thats just too much of a risk of failure.
    Filo x
  • Options
    My sis had an emergency section 1st time but went on to have 2 more quick vag deliveries with just gas and air. Just because 1st time resulted in a section doesn't mean you can't do it !! Perhaps getting some more advise, asking for the MW to stay in the room at all times and even some relaxation techniques will help you stay more in control and able to manage better next time. Good Luck x
  • Options
    hi Filo

if you can think of all the birth positions that there are - birthing stools, kneeling up, on your side, standing etc - these are all still possible with monitoring!

whilst labouring, you could use a rocking chair, birthing ball, edge of bed etc, and as long as the monitor leads reach the staff will be happy. monitors can be moved around the room (plug socket / extension cable permitting) so that your iv's can run as necessary, and most Midwives want you to be comfortable, and will do anything they can to help you with this - tbh, a comfortable mum makes our job a lot easier, and tends to protect our eardrums for another day !! :lol:

on the other hand, if you dont want to try, there is no problem with that, so ask to speak with your consultant, and tell him your feelings. you are not a straight forward candidate for a VBAC anyway due to your diabetes!
  • Options
    i would have loved a natural birth 1st time round and did everything i could to try including an ecv(which didnt happen in end as baby heartrate went up). plus when he was delivered by section the cord was long and round his neck so good job he wasnt turned.
    not sure how i'd be able to move with the SPD though as walking and even turning over in bed is agony.
    Filo x