Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

NCT classes

Hi girls

I know I am only three months but I have no idea when you are meant to book these. I know they gfet really really booked up and that my MW said not to leave it to the last min to bok so how far gone would I need to do this?

K xx
12+3

Replies

• Options
    Are those the ones you pay for?
    My mw just told me I'd be sent appointments for antenatal class and told me about parenting classes too.

Lisa
    10+2
  • Options
    Yeah they are or even NHS ones I have no idea when I would need to book myself in. I know you do not have them till much later on near the end but keep getting told people book up early?

K xx
    12+3
  • Options
    Hi hon, hope you're feeling a bit better now?

I got given a leaflet at my booking-in that said to book them all (2x Labour, Birth and Parenting and 1x Breastfeeding workshop) after my 20 wk scan but the leaflet was a local one. Maybe worth giving your mw a ring to check. x
  • Options
    Not sure hun.
    MW was here yesterday - she said I'd be given loads of info on classes at my scan and they start from 27-28 weeks and I'd be able to choose the day/time out of 3.
    Its confusing as its different in every area.

Lisa
    10+2
  • Options
    K-lou,

You have to book the NCT ones really earlier probably about 12-14 weeks expecially if you want a class that takes place on evenings or weekends. We tried to book at 18 weeks and all the classes we could do were booked up already. if you go on the NCT website and put in your area they tell you what courses are available and what due date they are suitable for. If they are there, then you can book them. When you register your interest, they offer you a place on a course and reserve it for you for 2 weeks I think. you can then decide whether or not to go for it. So, nothing to lose by registering an interest.

As far as NHS ones go I had no problems booking these at 18 weeks and couldn't book one class as they hadn't done the diary yet so don't think there is so much of a rush on these.

Hope this helps, xx
  • Options
    Thanks girls for all this info. Thanks Mrs D I knew I was early but was not sure when will go on the web site and then email them to see what they say image

K xx
    12+3
  • Options
    Yes, when I spoke to the NCT lady she said that the evenings and weekend courses sometimes get booked up as soon as they get advertised on the website. Even if the one you enquire about is booked up, they will offer you some alternatives, xx
  • Options
    We booked onto the NCT classes in December and they start middle of Feb.

Our NHS ones - well we've decided to skip them - you don't need to book, just turn up.

Joo xx
    27+2
  • Options
    We booked our NCT ones straight after our 12 week scan. I emailed them through the website and they came straight back and said that the course we needed to go on already had 2 couples confirmed and they only allow a max of 8 couples per course. We are skipping our NHS ones too as they are in the daytime whereas NCT ones are in the evenings. I know I'm entitled to the time off work for them but wanted hubby to come too and what with him taking time off every 2 weeks for my scans, an extra class in the day was just going to be too tricky xxx
  • Options
    Hello

We booked our NCT classes at 12 weeks - I have a friend that tried to book a few weeks later and couldn't get on them! It would porb just be worth giving your local NCT a call? x
  • Options
    Hey,
    Sorry am gatecrashing from Baby. We did NCT classes as NHS ones near us were all in the day and oh couldn't/wasn't allowed time off.
    Anyway, they were good and the teacher was lovely but ours started at 8 till 10 pm which as I got closer to due date was way to late I was half asleep-especially when we got to the relaxation techniques!! So check just in case.
    But the total plus point for me and Alfie has been the friends we've made. We meet up (7 Mum's 8 babies) almost every week (Alf's 6 +months). It is great to have other people to ask and check with who have babies the same age, just to be able to say 'is that normal?!!'. I know I've made some friends for life and so has Alfie. Sorry that sounds dead soppy but I think we got more out of the classes than the techincal, medical side of things so would defintley reccomend them.
    As for booking we did it on line and I guess as we're up North there wasn't too much of a waiting list but others had to travel a fair bit to the nearest one as they were out in the country.
    Anyway congratualtions, good luck and I hope you make some great friends like we did xx
  • Options
    A few of you have said you've booked your NCT classes, I was just wondering how much you paid and if its a standard rate?

I got my pack through yesterday and its ??174 for 6 classes (totalling 15.5 hours) and I can't decide whether I think thats alot or not.

The only course available to me includes 4 sessions between 10 and 1 so there would be no guarantees my husband could get the time off work...

Bec 25 weeks today! x
  • Options
    Hi girls well I booked mine , it was also 174 pounds Goonie but this was for 9 classes and is between 8pm and 10pm. It's best for us as this way hubby can make it which he is really keen to do.

Mine start in April which I will be about 6 months then thought that was really soon but I guess it depends on who they have for that class?

K xx
    13+1
  • Options
    Ok so it must be fairly standard then, maybe I just added the hours up wrong!

I am booked provisionally to start at the beginning of March and I'll be 29/30 weeks then so only just over 6 months.

I really want to do it but am not sure I'd feel comfortable going on my own if my hubby couldnt come! x
  • Options
    It is different for different areas , I have heard some people paying 240, it should be worth it though and i have heard such good things about the new friends you can make through these classes you will be fine honey image

K xx
    13+1
  • Options
    Ours were 240 for two full days and three two hour evening sessions. The two full days were 'women' only, and the evening sessions the men came along to. It worked out as a nice balance for us. It gave me a bit more time to get to know the women (which was my primary aim!), but still enabled my OH to be involved (which was important to me much more than him!?!).
    The prices do change, depending on the area you are in. For some reason, I think they are supposed to be more expensive in cities. No idea why.
    I started my classes at about 32 weeks, so 7 months or so. A lot of the other girls were a bit further on - 34-6 weeks. But the important thing was that we were all due within 3 weeks of each other. That is the most important thing - if you are doing them at 6 months, but everyone else is also 6 months or so then that is great because you will all be having your babies at about the same stage.
    And, just to let you know about the cost, although they are expensive, I actually did find them really helpful, and not just for the people that I met.
    Our classes finished this week, and we are meeting up next week for lunch. Starting as we mean to go on!
    So, enjoy them.
    Ally x
    35+4
  • Options
    I enquired in December about NCT classes and they advised me to sign up straight away as their is such clamour for the classes. I didn't in the end as I can't really afford them

13+1 x
  • Options
    well I now feel ripped off as in my area they are ??289!! (this includes a years membership to the NCT but still sooo expensive.) we have decided to go ahead (after the initial shock of the price) as have heard such good reports from them. they start when I will be 31 weeks and we have 9 classes although 3 are women only.
    xx
  • Options
    i've been offered a one on one session with the course leader for the same price as the local one is full. i get it for ??20 though instead of the full price as i'm on disablitly