Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

lack of milk in the afternoon

Hello all,

The last couple of days I have noticed that Teddy feeds fine in the morning and is settled after each feed for a couple of hours but after 1pm I don;t seem to have enough, I have tried putting him back on what seems like a completey empty boob and swapped sides and I have done this for a couple of days but there is no improvement at all and i end up giving him a bottle of expressed milk from the morning when I seem to have to much milk so have to pump off one boob.
Teddy has one bottle (4oz) of formula at 7pm and then another bf at 9pm. (I pump at 7 instead and get 5-6oz for the 3am feed. so my day is like;
Wake at 7 -bf and pump other for afternoon top up
9am bf
11am bf
12:30pm bf and from then it seems like constant bf and top ups till 7 when he has his formula

I would just like to know if any one else gets this and if so how do I manage this all afternoon? I have a 3 year old to play with aswell.

Teddy was weighed last week and was 12lb 8 at 6 weeks old.

Any suggestions please!
Thank you

Replies

• Options
    I have some days where there does not seem to be enough milk, but what I started doing is making sure I was drinking enough. Before having Michael I was struggling to even drink 1.5 liters, now I am easily over 3 liters and most days close to 4. (mostly water) I also snack a lot. I eat almost every two hours something. (basicly after every feed) Sometimes it is a banana or apple or some strawberry's, but sometimes it is some chocolat, a sausage roll or something else small. It seem to settle Michael a lot better since I am paying extra attention to what and when I eat.

Are you sure you are eating and drinking enough? Could you increase it to see if it helps?
  • Options
    you need to make sure you are drinking at least 2 litres a day and you have to snack on high calorie foods to help increase your supply

you say you can get 5-6oz at 7pm when he has his formula - that to me says he is snacking through the afternoon and that you do have enough milk as you wouldnt be able to pump off that much if he was constantly hungry from a low supply....

Have you tried a dummy? Or could you try to make him go longer between feeds? Walk in the pram, drive in the car or something?
    the reason you have more milk in the morning is because you have rested, could you get a catnap in the afternoon at all?

xxx