Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby Being Sick After Feeds

I'm new to site so hello all. I'm in need of advise!

My little girl is now 9 weeks old but was a prem baby born at 31 weeks. I couldnt breast feed her because I just wasn't lactating enough but manged to express some to give her a good start. Since birth she's been on Aptamil first and she was tube fed in hospital but then before she left went onto a bottle. We carried on with Aptamil first because it was what she'd had in hospital but after she came home after three weeks in hospital she developed bad wind.

On the advise of the HV we used Infacol (worked for a time and then stopped), Colief (didn't work at all) and then we changed her to Aptamil Comfort milk. She did seem a bit better ut was still windy so we tried gripe water and this worked for a time but started to make her choke so stopped using.

Then as she approached her due date around 2 weeks ago she went from taking around 5oz of feed to only being able to take 2 - 4oz. We were advised that because she was so windy we should wind her often during her feed. She'd take her first 1-2oz and then when I'd try and carry on with her feed she cry and want to feed but when I put the teet in her mouth she'd cry as though she couldn't take it and there was a blockage. She then also started to be sick after feeds and has been like this since.

We've tried loads of different bottles, Tommee Tippee natural touch and ant-colic but she seems better on a fast flow latex teat and a standard bottle.

Took her to the doctors on Tuesday last week and was prescribed gaviscon but it's not made a difference. She still pukes quite a lot either during winding or feeding. She's putting on weight and the puking seems to upset me more than her.

I'm a new mum a she's my first but I'm guessing this kind of thing isn't unusual. Am told it's something I may just have to bear with until she grows out of it. Have been given a few tips like feeding her little and often, raising her head in bed and keeping her upright for 20-30 mins after feeding. Any more advise and tips anyone?

Replies

• Options
    Oh my god. I can't believe this post. I wrote almost the exact same post about my girls about 3 weeks ago. They were 7.5 weeks prem and were doing exactly this. We were also prescribed Gaviscon but it made no difference. I tried Colief and Gripe water - we also had a choking incident with gripe water so I stopped using it. Our HV advised for us to switch to easy digest milk but I never bothered trying it.

I can only tell you what we changed but if I'm honest, I'm not sure whether it's the changes that have solved our problems or whether their tummies have just matured and they are growing out of their problems.

1) We switched to Dr Browns bottles to minimise the wind issues
    2) I tried gripe water and Colief that didn't work. I am now using Dentinox which is supposed to be good for wind as it collects all the little air bubbles in the gut into one big bubble that can be expelled more easily
    3) I switched back to the slower teats. I found they were crying less on the slower teats (strange as I had always thought faster teats = less wind swallowed. We are now back on the no2 teats though as they are getting loads better

My girls are now 15 weeks old (8 corrected). We now hardly have to wind them (if we sit them up really straight and jiggle them on our knees for a few minutes then they do lovely big burps!

I know it's not what you want to hear but I do think you LO will grow out of it. I think my LOs were growing at such a rate that they were hungry for lots of milk (they take 3-5oz) but their tummies just couldn't cope.

Sorry I can't offer you any magic solutions but hang on in there, things should start to improve within the next month xx
  • Options
    try some baby massage on the stomach and back. my daughter was born at 38 weeks (not prem i know but she was very ill and in scbu for a while) and she gets terrible wind and can bring up her feeds quite often. i've found that putting her across my knee and gently bouncing whilst rubbing her back really helps release wind as does doing it on her tummy. also holding baby facing away from you with your arm between her legs holding her tummy and your other arm holding her under her neck and across her chest and swinging gently from side to side also helps when the wind is really bad. (dont do this when there tummy is too full though)