Forum home Birth clubs Due in March 2020
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Telling my boss I’m pregnant.

I’ve recently found out I’m pregnant with baby number 2, I’m about 8 weeks along and not planned, switched contraception and was without for about 4 days, very shocked just because I hadn’t expected or planned it. But very happy all the same. 

I have recently been promoted to manager of a one of my bosses new practices, I was offered the promotion in May was heavily involved in the opening of the practice and have been doing all the work involved in opening a practice since then. The role officially started on the 1st of August, I would have been around 4 weeks pregnant then. 

I have yet to sign a contract confirming my new role/salary/hours. 

I have worked for for my boss for around 5 years and worked with him through my previous pregnancy which was around 2 years ago. 

I am very nervous to tell my boss I’m pregnant, given the circumstances, and I’m really not sure how he will react. He can be quite difficult to speak to and can fly off the handle in the first instance before settling down. The last time I was pregnant I had a manager who I informed first and she then informed him. My last pregnancy I was in a role that is easily covered while on maternity. 

My issue is, is that i‘m worried that this role will be more difficult to cover and my work colleague who was pregnant at the same time as me was in a similar role to the one I’m in now and they made things so difficult for her going back to work that she ended up leaving and going elsewhere to do something less than position she had with my company. 

I know I’m entitled to both a family and a career but i‘m just extremely nervous that 1. It won’t be received well and there will be a horrible atmosphere and 2. That I will be offered an alternative role on my return to work. 

Also any tips on the best way to tell my boss. Do I send an email to keep a paper trail or tell in person? I would be sorting my own maternity leave etc so there would be no point of call for any of that. 

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips 

Replies

• Options
    Hi there,

First off, I wouldn’t tell your employer just yet about your pregnancy (unless you need to do this ASAP for Heath and safety reasons) - it’s best to get the contract all signed first of all so you have that to fall back on. I’d advise this whether you was pregnant or not! 

In terms of telling your boss, it’s always better to do this face-to-face, but certainly follow up with an email to confirm everything which was discussed. 

With your actual job role, you can’t  be treated differently just because you’re pregnant regardless of ‘how difficult’ the role may be to cover. The only exception to this is again, a health and safety risk to yourself where they’d need to find you an alternative. In terms of returning to work... if you’re only off for 26 weeks or less you HAVE to go back to the job you was doing beforehand, anything longer than 26 weeks you should go back to the job you was in before...unless that job no longer exists. You cannot be demoted, redeployed, etc if you’re job is still within the organisation. 

Last but not least, remember your employer is responsible for finding your cover... not you. Don’t stress about this. You can help with the process of course but the pressure isn’t yours with this one :) 

I hope this helps. Please feel to ask more questions if you need to and I’ll try and help x