Forum home› Family life & relationships› Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

pumpkins.

we bought a pumpkin from asda last night for ??1! just wondered if anyone knows how soon you can carve it? how long does the skin last? im going to make some pumpkin soup, but want to make a lantern. thanks all.

Replies

• Options
    I know we did when I was a kid - I don't know how long it last - I just remember making pumpking soup and it stank the house out!!!!!
    I think we then didn't buy one for years - then we bought one and drew a face on it and it lasted for AGES!!!! lol!!!
    So I'm not much help really - but good luck!!! I know my friend who NEVER cooks - buys a pumpkin hollows it out and makes pumpkin soup every year - so it can be done!!!
    XXXXXX
  • Options
    Cud u post the recipe for pumpkin soup?? I have only tried it once and would like to try it again!!
  • Options
    yummy, im gonna make that, i bought a huge monster size pumpkin so will have lots of pumpkin recipies to make,lol
  • Options
    yum! also on the subject of halloween/bonfire night does anyone know how to make treacle toffee??? i remember the process just dont know ingrredients? treacle, sugar,?? thanks all. i used to make it with my mum when i was a kid, but she's not around now to ask and as she died on bonfire night it feels like something i reallt want to do.
  • Options
    bomfire toffee
    300g demerara sugar
    100g butter
    2tbsp golden syrup
    1tbsp black treacle
    4tbsp water

heat slowly in pan til butter melted and sugar dissolved
    bring to boil and cover pan, boil gently for 2mins
    uncover pan and continue boiling for 10/15mins stir occasionally
    drop a little of mixture in a cup of cold water, if it seperates into brittle threads its done if not cook a little longer
    pour into a buttered tin and leave to set

take out all the days frustrations smashing toffee into pieces. image xx
  • Options
    Ohhh girls thanks for the recipes!!! Will have to get my apron on and get cooking
  • Options
    be warned ladies! i made a tray of bonfire toffee this aft and as moorish as it is im worried i might have no teeth by tomorrow,lol its sooooooooo chewy and yum one bit aint enough image xx
  • Options
    thanks! i cant wait to get cooking!
  • Options
    i used a dif recipie for bonfire toffee off internet (no offence) i wrote down ingr in lbs got oh to convert it to grams for me and something didnt seem right. sugar fine butter fine a bit more than i would use but ok. treacle something like 340g which is just short of a full tin!!!! i dont think so i just put in what i thought was best. its lovely.
  • Options
    we carved our pumpkin last night. it looks cool. so today im creating things with the insides. nice. bonfire toffee still going strong.
  • Options
    i ended up making iced pumpkin fingers, yummy and pumpkin rissoto!
    xx