Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How many spoonfuls at 6 months

hi everyone, my lo is gonna be 6 months on the 8th jan and at the mo he is on breakfast lunch and dinner, he has 3 teaspoon fulls at breakfast, 6 teaspoonfuls at lunch and 6 teaspoonfuls for dinner (of pureed food). Plus 4 bottles of milk a day (1 being with his porridge or cereal in morning for breakfast)

This has been working fine for him, but was just wondering what you all give your little ones. As he is getting older now was wondering whether i should start giving some more spoonfuls.
I dont want to cut anymore milk out yet though cos obviously at this stage the milk is still his vital nutrients that he need.

Grateful for any advice

Replies

• Options
    hello,
    What age was your lo when you started weaninghim?
    I didnt start weaning my lo until she was 6mths.She willbe 8mths next week.My hv told me,once you move on from jsut puree veg and fruit to meat dairy products lumpier foods etc.You should be feeding your lo until they have had enough rather than feeding them until you think they have had enough. Does that make sense?
    At first I was wondering if my lo was having enough.Now I just feed her until she is full and refuses to have anymore.
  • Options
    Barney will be 6 months tomorrow, we've been weaning for about 5 weeks and he has three meals a day, four milk feeds a dream feed and still wakes sometimes at about 5 for a feed.
    He has about 4 tablespoons of porridge/cereal at breakfast, about 4 tablespoons of puree and half a jar of pudding at lunch and about the same for tea. He still thinks he should have more but he is often sick after his milk as his tummy is too full so I am rationing him!!!

Just read that back and realised what a pig my son is! He's only on the 25th centile so god only knows where he puts it all!
  • Options
    hey Amy is 6 and half months old now and has breakfast lunch and dinner plus 3 bottles. We give her ceral in morning which is about 4 desertspoons plus water, lunch is 2 cubes (Annabel Kambel cubes) plus fruit pot and dinner is 2/3 cubes (normally cubes are of sheppards pie or chicken cassarole plus a veg cube) followed by a yoghurt. She seems content on this but is on the 99th centle - she has always been a big girl and loves her food!! She has also started to have a snack as well of half a banana or a rusk. I swear she would eat more if i gave it to her my little piggy!!! xxx
  • Options
    Hi

Im sorry but I dont agree with the feeding till they have had enough. My HV told me to be led by the baby and do this, but when I did he cut his milk down realy fast and then started waking up during the night for a feed. The amounts your giving sound fine. As most of the nutrients are coming from the milk at this stage they are apparently supposed to be still taking around 18oz a day. Too much food will stop them from doing this. I know Ill probably be cursed for this but as I had a God afull HV who gave the most absured advice on weaning (eg at six months give him anything and pureeing is not necessary- no mention of salt, sugar, cows milk, nuts etc) I gave in and got the Gina Ford weaning book and I swear by it. Alot of it makes so much sense but its things that wouldnt neccesarily have crossed your mind. Theres realy good recipes in it and good advice on types of foods and most importantly average amounts to give.
  • Options
    thanks ladies, i have just upped his food a bit to a few more spoonfuls, when im making it up now its about equivilent to half a large jar plus a yog for pudding.
    I have also transfered him on to mashed food instead of puree in the last week and he has taken to it like a duck to water, thank god i was petrified, lol.
    But he is still taking all his milk at the moment which is good.

Thanks so much for all your advice.

ooohhh plus yesterday he said mum mum for the first time, sorry just had to tell everybody, so excited. xx image