Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Slow cooker recipes?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any good slow cooker recipes that would be good for toddlers and mummies/daddies?

I've looked at a few books on Amazon but nothing really sounds appealing. My oldest lo is 3 in September and is a really good eater, not fussy, and has a great appetite so he'll usually try anything.

Would love to hear some recipes.

Thanks

Kelly x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Kelly, you may have already found some ideas by now but i have a few ideas i use at home.

My girls are 5, 3 & 6mths and now we are getting into the cold weather (we live in australia) i am using the slow cooker every week.

I generally use continental brand sauce mixes (don't know if they are available in UK but i think any are probably ok) with plain flavour bases, ie not curry or spicy etc.

Another thing i have learnt is if you are serving with mashed potato, DO NOT LET OTHER FOOD TOUCH MASH OR IT MAY BE CONTAMINATED, LOL , please keep all foods separate.

With our 5 yo we also make sure she eats within a pre-determined time frame or they tend to drag meal times out forever.

Good luck, just remember that every child has a motivating factor, ie story time or special toys etc, but not a good idea to use food rewards (eg sweets) as a reward for eating food, which should be a normal every day function.

Shell
  • Options
    i love my slow cooker and my 1 year old eats out of it all the time have you tried spanish chicken i put chopped up chicken and the chicken tonight sauce spanish chicken flavour in it and it cooks lovely its also quick and good if youre entertaing, we do it all the we have it with rice or chips i cook sausages in mine to but most of all we like chicken cassorole, beef cassorole that way you can put all sorts of veg in it and you all eat it so its good for you, i also cook whole chicken in mine its a easy way of doing a cooked dinner we do mash steam bag veg then you can have a cooked dinner in about 25 mins. I love my slow cooker so much the family say i should give it a holiday its cheap and easy to use have you tried to do puddings i do rice pudding in mine to sometimes add choclate a great way to get milk in my son who at the mo is refusing to drink it! i also cook chopped up beef and onion then all i have to do is put it in a dish and add a pastry top and bang home made pie as you can tell we are typical british family we like the favs. hope this helps they sell some good books in th eworks book store