Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help Terrified my baby will choke

Hi ladies

My son is 10 months old and he loves his food, on 3 meals a day and im making things more and more lumpy but im terrified he will choke on finger foods.

I know where this fear comes from as im a nurse and once saw a patient choke to death on a piece of toast and it was the worst thing iv ever seen.

Im trying to get over this but finding it really hard to relax during meal times. Today i gave him a finger of toast and I didnt cope that well. I realise that I must give him finger foods to develop his eating skills so any advice would be so appreciated.

xx

Replies

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better you are not alone, I was obsessed with this too & sadly my son was one of those babies that will just shive as much food in until his mouth can't move so I spent alot of time trying to get it out & obsessing over him choking. One thing I found which was a big help was this;

http://www.safetots.co.uk/490.htm

You put food like toast, fruit, anything really that is solid inside it & baby can chew on it through the mesh & it stops big lumps breaking off & going down their throat.

But tbh, you have to let them learn how to eat so just make sure that all fruits are soft & ripe, toast is in small pieces rather than a big lump & never ever leave lo when eating. If they do start to choke then as a nurse you know what to do, lay them across your arm & whack on the back but tbh my son went through a gagging stage & always sorted himself out so just make sure you are on hand if the worse happens. image
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply Beebee, iv been trying my lo with small squares of toast and he is managing to chew them fine. I think im finally getting over my fear now that I see him chewing his food as he should.

Im not keen on trying the meshy things so will carry on giving him small bits and pieces.
    xxx