Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Soya Milk

Does anybody know if soya milk is ok for a 61/2 month old?

I have been using Alpro soya which says it is fine for children over 6 months but when I bought 'So Good' Soya milk, it says it is only suitable for children 12 months+. I actually called their support line to ask and they told me not to use it under 12months although I don't see the difference between this and the alpro soya?
Does anyone have any knowledge of this or use it for your babies? I am not using it as a main milk supply, just adding it in cooking and on his cereal etc. (He is dairy intolerant)

Any help would be great.

Louise xx

Replies

• Options
    Both my boys have been and still are using Alpro Soya. Both are milk intolerant, although the older one has grown out of it. My youngest has 3-4 6oz bottles a day still. As far as I am aware, the only health risk to using soya milk and boys is it has been associated with reduced fertility in boys when they get older.
  • Options
    Thanks for that. I think I'll carry on using the alpro soya as it has the added calcium so he needs to get it from somewhere.
    What did you use for yogurts & cheese?
    My hv said to give him the alpro soya yogurts too but they are so high in sugar! I haven't seen any other yogurts other than the alpro ones. The only cheese I have seen is something called Sheese but haven't tried it.
  • Options
    Not found or tried cheeses but as older one has grown out of most of the intolerance, he has normal yoghurts etc. We always know if he's had too much dairy as he can have very loose n yellow stools the next day but other than that, he does fine now - he's 3 btw. My younger one is a diff kettle of fish as he has allergy to oats and an intolerance of wheat/gluten as well and also doesn't seem to be growing out of the milk intolerance yet - he's just turned 1.

We did use the alpro yoghurts and both boys loved em! I don't think it's too much of a worry, althou the sugar content is high I know, as you can limit the amount of sugar in other foods. We also used Vitalite as it is dairy free and a heck of a lot cheaper than that 'Pure' - tastes better too!!

Check this site out, mite be handy for you and give some tips hun
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/milk_allergy_diet.html

http://bd.lilypie.com/MWoCp2/.png

• Options
    Thanks so much, that site looks very useful.

I will probably give him the soya yogurts but just half at a time so he isn't getting the full sugar rush lol.
    Will check out the vitalite too, use the Pure at the mo.

Tvm!
  • Options
    loui4, try the alprosoy puddings too, my son loves the vanilla ones & the yogurts are fine imo, have you seen how much sugar is in a normal dairy yogurt?? The dietician my son sees recommended both the puddings & yogurt & swedish glace ice cream too, all in moderation but sonny has at least one yougurt or pudding a day as it has added calcium & as I make most all his other food that is the only sugar he gets. He doesn't even drink juice, only water, so as long as you can keep an eye on what else is being eaten then I wouldn't worry too much.

I use alprosoya unsweetened milk in his cereal & for cooking use mainly rice milk as it comes is smaller container so less wastage. I would only use the receommended soya milk though & not change as some have various things added if only meant for adults.

Millie, we just came back from holiday & i wasn't able to control the dairy so much so at resteraunts I would give him mash made with normal milk & butter & his stools were the same as your oldests, yellow & slimey but no other symptoms like previously such as bad stomach & cramping, vomming & rash so I really hope that at nearly 11 months, he he is showing signs of growing out of this too. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Thanks beebee, I will look out for those. We are due to see a dietician but the app hasn't come through yet.
    I will use the yogurts etc cause I'm more concerned that he gets the calcium more than too much sugar now.

Thanks again xx
  • Options
    I use the Alpro Soya yoghurts and have just bought some of the vanilla puds, I also use Alpro Soya milk in cooking as lo did not like the Nutramigen formula in sauces, did try Alpro custard but she didn't like it and found a dairy free cheese mix in helath shop and that is ok, the soya cheese is not great imo but i do use it when poss and lo is ok with it.
    Think I will try rice milk as Soya can only be open for 5 days and we waste alot.
  • Options
    the rice milk is good for cooking wiht but imo is too thin for mashing, if you can find the alprosoy organic unsweetened milk, for some reason it comes in a smaller carton, so less wastage. I just try to use one per week in cereal & mashing then a rice milk per week in other cooking.
  • Options
    Decided to use the Soya in breakfast aswell so probably will get through the carton ok now.
    Dietician told me not to use Soya but hv has said it is fine and as Maddie will not eat meat or jars now I need sauces for pasta, fish and veg and she will not eat them made with formula so it's soya or nothing.
    Getting more inventive as we go!