Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finger food ideas!

Hi everyone hope you are all well,
Neve has begun the dreaded picky phase and its driving me bonkers! She doesn't want to be fed but is not quite dextrous enough to feed herself properly with a spoon (although we are giving her lots of practice) which means the only things she is really eating is finger food.

Can anyone give me any inspiration for nutritious finger foods, breakfast in particular is a problem as at the moment she will only eat toast!

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hello,
    when my daughter goes through a picky stage- she is 2 1/2
    for breakfat .........
    Banana that she can dip in to a yoghurt
    dry cerial
    fruit

dinner
    sasuages
    carrot,pepper,cucumber,sticks
    cheese
    sandwiches-bread,pitta bread or wraps
    cold new potatoes
    cold meats
    bread sticks and dips

hope this helps
    emma xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hiya Max refused to be fed when he was 6 months old! He's 14 months old now and he has mainly had finger food since then, although he likes his ready brek in the morning!

For breakfast, fruit is a good idea. Banana, oranges, also tinned fruit (make sure its in juice, not syrup!) tends to be softer and easier for them to chew.
    The obvious one is toast, with marmite / smooth peanut butter / dairlylea etc
    Yes, dry cereal also a good idea, Max loves cheerios. He picks them up one at a time.
    Also dried fruit? Max loves apricots and raisins.

For lunch, sandwiches, pitta bread, slices of tomato and cucumber. Or you could make pizza slices! With lots of vegetables. I don't know how old she is, maybe she could help you put the vegetables on the pizza base and you could make faces and flowers or something.

Dinner, well Max usually has the same as us.
    If we're having fish, I'll cook a fish for him, and carefully take all the bones out, and he has it with peas (which he loves! He picks them up one at a time :lol: ) and a few potatoes or something.
    Anything, really. Pies can be cut into strips and he'll munch through the pastry and eat it all. Sliced carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower, babycorn, peppers.

Hope this helps...
    xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Thanks thats really helpful - have made a long list, she is 13 months and currently piling her dairylea sandwiches into a tower lol!
  • Options
    my lo is 14 months and never really ate baby food so we have mainly given fingure foods - he is fussy so has no veg which worries me but im trying not to make big deal out of it!

breakfast - he will actually eat creamy baby porridge mixed with yogurt! but bagels, crmupets, pittas, fruit, cheerios (dried)

lunch and dinner - cucumber (i have to cut edge off and then into chunck and he'll happily munch), dairlyee cheese strings, toast, bagels, crumpets, i do baked beans or macaroni cheese and put some in a bowl with spoon for him and then i am able to feed him as he's distracted -he tries to put on spoon but it doesnt work but he picks up beans and pasta with fingures.

dinner - fish fingures, waffels, smiley faces, pizza bits, mini toad in holes, sausages (chippolota ones)

• Options
    Isaac has always been a good eater but he doesnt like being fed as a consequence he thinks everything is finger food, meal times are messy as even stuff like spaghetti bolognaise gets eaten with his fingers. He does try with a spoon but can't quite do it yet and he gets cross if I try to help.
  • Options
    Tegan hasnt let me feed her since she was about 9 months, so had this problem for a while now as she still isnt great with a spoon. for breakfast she either has...
    fruit
    toast
    cereal
    pancakes
    crumpets
    toaster waffles
    omellete

Lunch/dinner
    sandwiches
    cucumber, tomatos, carrot, salad
    pizza
    pasta
    curry and rice
    roast
    caseroles
    spag bol
    fish fingers, chicken dippers, fishcakes, potato smiles, waffles etc

some of those are very messy but nothing a quick wash in the bath can sort lol xx
  • Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Options
    Rice Cakes!!