Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sure Start Maternity Grant

does any one know much about this, i am currently 24 + 5 and have been told i may be entitled to this. Just been on the jobcentre website and it states that you can only apply if you are on certain types of benefits, which i am not. My o/h and myself are on low income which is less than ??14,000 a year ( the disadvantage of living in cornwall are the low wages) Thanks. H and Bump,oh and iam also self employed.

Replies

• Options
    Hi you do need to be on certain benifits (income support, income based jobseekers allowance, incapacity benifit, maternity allowance are the main ones) and you need to be in reciept of the benifits on the 15th week BEFORE your baby is due, if you ask your midwife she should be able to provide you with some advice (you will need to get you MAT B1 certificate stating when your baby is due you get this off her) you could probaly get maternity allowance but you need proof of your income (bank statments will do as you wont have pay slips) for at least 13 weeks out of 55 last year also if you go onto benifit anytime before your baby is 3 months old you can still claim the Sure Start Grant
    Hope this helps you

BlueTiger
    ;\)
  • Options
    hi blue tiger, thanks for the info, it helps a lot. H + Bump
  • Options
    a couple of my friends have had this 1 got ??500 as she is married and husbad earning and the other got ??1000 due to being single and on all benefits, hope this helps and hope you get something.

amanda
  • Options
    unless she had twins that isn't right as the government are giving the impression that if your a single mother they will award more money and more people will try and commit benefit fraud by saying they live alone so they can get more and aren't they trying to stop that, but back to the grant if you apply after having the baby when you have got tax credits in payment (which on a low income you will get) then you will be entitled to ??500 per baby but make sure you apply within 3 months, hope this helps....anita xx
  • Options
    thanks for the replies all info helps
  • Options
    Hi, all the info blue tiger gave is correct, i work on the lone parent team at the job centre so if you need help let me know. I know the process inside out! Sophia x
  • Options
    Can you get this grant if you're get working tax credit
    and child tax credit? We are classed as low income and get these credits.
  • Options
    Yes you can still get sure start if your claiming working or child tax credit, also income support, jsa, or pension credit (not that u need that one) x
  • Options
    P.s to claim call your local jobcentre and ask for form SF100 Sure Start.
  • Options
    hi, my friend didnt have twins she has had 4 children and each time recieved ??1000 maternity grant!!!!! she got a car with one of them! not fair i know but hey!!!! she definently did though!
  • Options
    Couple of things i forgot to add, you can get surestart if your child tax credit is a higher rate than the family element, and only extra working tax credit due to a disability.its ??500
  • Options
    Hello again Sophia, when can you claim the benefit? I am still employed worked 12hrs a wk but have been signed off since november. have not received any wages since december cos im not entitled to SSP. i am stil waiting to hear from income support for the decision but have had no income since 19 december last yr. do i qualify for the benefit & how far into ur pregnancy can u claim it??? Tess*
  • Options
    Hello again Sophia, when can you claim the benefit? I am still employed worked 12hrs a wk but have been signed off since november. have not received any wages since december cos im not entitled to SSP. i am stil waiting to hear from income support for the decision but have had no income since 19 december last yr. do i qualify for the benefit & how far into ur pregnancy can u claim it??? Tess*
  • Options
    i dont understand all the higher rate stuff, i just know what goes in the bank every thursday!!! i'll pop down the jobcentre though and ask them for the form.....cheers soph x x x
  • Options
    Hi Tess. . You can claim from 11 weeks before baby is due, and upto 3 months after the baby is born. Oh hello doggy, i love him so much x xx
  • Options
    would i b entitled to it cos i am not in receipt of any of the benefits stated. i do get DLA tho?
  • Options
    If your waiting to hear from income support they will take ages, have you called CMS? they are really helpful. . when you was at work did you claim any tax credits? If so, then yes you can claim sure start, and if you get income support which i can almost guarantee you are eligible for you wil def get it. how many weeks preg are you?? x
  • Options
    Yeah iv been waitin since january cos my employer keeps holding everythin up. Im 20+4. not due til july but i like to be up to date with things. i have never claimed tax credits, i was just looking at the site for that & it says i have to b workin at least 16 hrs a wk, i was only doin 12 cos of my previous injuries from when i ws 12 (was hit by a car!) what is CMS?
  • Options
    You could have been claiming working tax credits all the time youv'e been working 12hrs!!! You can get this back dated though, so make sure u put in for that aswell and get all your money back, all the iraqis do it and get loads so make sure u dont miss out. You wont be able to get it if your on SSP. Ru sure u aint read it wrong, its normally maximum 16 hrs not minimum. .
  • Options
    P.s CMS is just a jobcentre department that people on IB, IS, or SSp call for info and claims for benefits x x