Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

People have big gobs

I hate people who feel they have a right to judge anything another parent does. We all do things differently and at times I have not liked or agreed with other mums but I keep it to myself.

Today one of the dads (househusband) st the girls school was watching me pur Ayesha's coat on. She protested and was screaming but I still got it on without to much fighting it was just all noise. Then I put her straight into her pram. I didnt acknowledge her tantrum and ignored her. She didnt get her own way and I didnt shoot or get upset. Until his big gob said. How can you let a child rule your life like that. 

I firstly pointed out, that she didnot get her way and that I was ignoring the tantrum and that she will calm down when she realises tantrums dont work - as I believe sometimes they want attention even if that does mean you shout at them rather than talking. 

I was so upset I felt proud I had done things the right way and yet someone still critised me. I suppose I am doomed to let people down. image

Replies

• Options
    How dare he,how rude.That does really bug me,when they don't even know you,your child or what's happening.Glad to hear you set him straight.Be proud not only for dealing with Ayesha's paddy,but dealt with him that forgot to use brain before mouth too.Well done you.Bet you're still fuming though.
    When I was a nanny in London,I was out with the two toddlers I was looking after.One of them ran his hands along the wall,so his gloves were black.He'd gone out with clean gloves.While we were waiting for the bus home,some bloke I'd never seen in my life just passing by felt the need to give me a lecture on keeping "my " children clean.I was that gobsmacked I couldn't tell him the true story,anyway why should I.Still makes me angry more because I didn't tell him where to stick his advice,and it's 12 years later.
    Don't worry,you let no one down.You were minding your own,taking care of your baby.All toddlers have paddies.If Mr Mum doesn't know that it's his problem.
  • Options

It sounds like you were a lot more polite than I would have been!

Advice when you ask for it is one thing, but how he could criticise you when you were behaving like an impeccable mum is beyond me!

I bet you're still fuming, I would be.  Comfort yourself with the moral high ground you occupy, by not criticising his bad example of rudeness he was setting to his kids!

• Options
    thanks ladies. I can be snappy when Ayesha is being a bit more than a hand full so I was considering it was the manic school pick up, I did think I was doing well. I may speak to the childrens centre manager as that is were it happens and she might have a quite word. Just to doubley make my point. If he never speaks to me again - well wont that be a pity. image
  • Options

what a twat!!! im sorry but thats just bang out of line, ignoring a tantrum is the hardest thing ever, and jack does the same thing ayesha did on a regular basis and i deal with it exactly the same way, which i believe is the right way, i ignore bad behaviour and praise good behaviour so when he goes in the buggy nicely hes told hes a very good boy and if he remains nice in the buggy gets some raisins on the walk home! I cannot believe he had the front to comment especially on something that was dealt with so well, blimey my blood is boiling, dont get me wrong i am not anti men but I HATE men who think they know better than mums, especially when its not even there children they are talking about!!! I got tutted at by some dad at my sisters school for letting her go in my buggy with lola, shes just turned 3 and its a long walk poor kids knackered after school! Hope that this idiot hasnt got to you too much linz your a fab mum and you know it, hold your head high you did the right thing!!

and well done for remaining so calm, cant say id have manged that!

• Options
    what a plonker. well done for keeping your cool, don't let him upset you, he's an idiot.
  • Options
    I suppose you could have gone yeah she gets it from me and screamed at him.Sorry,not helpful.
  • Options
    hehe - that just made me laugh out loud Jo!! image
  • Options

All I can think of now is that advert set in the supermarket that was on a few years ago - you know when the mum silenced her screaming child by throwing a proper tantrum in front of everyone?

Lol!

• Options
    screamed back at jack once very childish but worked image
  • Options
    I would imagine it would be quite liberating,unless of course you want to shop there again.
  • Options

Hey, I'm in my mid-30's, I have very little shame left!

TBH I'd probably get a round of applause if it was the one close to home, lots of mums with small kids there, they've all experienced it I'm sure...

• Options
    i dont get the whole tantrums in tescos jacks always loved it... and my sister, when he was little he got loads of attention now we have fun finding things, its me thats likely to tantrum when they dont have my orange and pinapple robinsons!!! or when andrew adds something else we dont need lol, main reason i shop online is no temptation!!
  • Options
    Nearly had a paddy in the car park today.Just had a lovely (child free)shopping trip,bought nice things for the babies,couple of bits for myself.Iwas sitting in the van eating Maltesars before I drove home(far too valuable to risk spilling them while driving).Any way,big van reverses into the space next to me.I was hoping he wouldn't park there but he was obviously trying to cos he drove forward then reversed again into my mirror,typical,stupid too fast for the situation man van driving.When he realised he'd hit something he just drove across the car park to another space,again too fast.I should've got out shouted,but he didn't actually even mark the mirror.I just think it was extremely rude if nothing else not to even check.He got out of his van and looked over but that was it.It was a British Gas van so I suppose I should've taken his reg and phoned to complain.It was raining,I was eating chocolate,too late now,just bugged me cos it's so rude.Maybe,in his defence he thought a van like mine might belong to someone like Zak Dingle!
    Oooh I wish I'd had my paddy now.
  • Options
    lol jo, we saw a huge bmw jeep thing smack right up some little clio, while loading shopping in my mates car little lady goes back to the clio two kids in tow so we told her and tesco gave her the cctv and he had to pay damage and got a slapped wrist for leaving!! haha felt good that did!
  • Options

See the chocolate was soothing you too much!

I have just got such a thing about rice pudding at the moment.  I have fallen in love with the Rachel's Divine Rice - it  is just so creamy and like home-made stuff - actually I'm off work tomorrow I might get a nice slow rice pudding cooking in the morning so I can binge at the weekend....

It is very rude.  I hate the way some drivers behave in car parks - nearly always men too.  Especially those b******s who park in disabled spaces when they clearly have no need to.  I always have to fight the urge to ram their cars so they have something to complain about!

• Options
    He was lucky I had my chocolate,I've got that sort of PMS thing simmering ATM.I'm not very nice right now.
    You can't actually see very well in a big jeep or a big van,you just have to go careful to be sure.Only a man!
  • Options
    ive had a huge row with some women in a soft top car who had the cheek to stop her car and yell, have you got kids at me, as shed seen me in a shop an hour earlier alone jack was asleep in the car with my friend, it was hottest day ever and i was huge and pregnant and she wouldnt drop it!!! she even got out to check he was real as he was still sleeping!! and prodded my bump and went well how would i know your far to young, hannah litterally dragged me back from the evil cow! i would have killed her... also went and knocked on some old mans window after he cut us up nicking our kids space with no child so his old wife could go buy fags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he just blanked me!! made me very cross, so we ended up parking in disabled as noway could i get carseat out in normal space and lug it across carpark, pregnant, we then got told off, they soon apolagised when i explained and they saw my bump and baby!
  • Options
    How rude, I agree think you did very well to keep your cool Linz
  • Options
    I screamed back at Isabelle once, her face was a picture. I always say to her now. You can scream but I can scream louder. I would in the shop except for the people with white coats that wait on my shoulder. image
  • Options

Some people have no manners or common sense.   A dear friend of ours nearly lost a leg in a bike accident and doctors saved it by putting an experimental cage thing on it, pins in the bone kind of thing.  Anyway, he went shopping, could drive an auto as it was his left leg, and someone told him off for parking in a disabled space.  He had this huge chunk of titanium, carbon fibre and steel screwed onto his leg and someone with no obvious signs of disability dared to tell him off.  He is too nice to have retaliated but had I been with him I certainly would have.

I have a nasty habit of telling people off for using the parent and child spaces when they are obviously on their own and so far with a 100% success rate.  Those parked with no child seats (two seater sports cars...) tend to get snotty notes left saying something along the lines of "For people with children, not those who behave like them".  Good on Asda and Sainbury's who fine those found parked in the wrong place.  And good on Asda for having spaces for expectant mums only.  Brill idea.