Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

plum chutney

rach as requested, i double the recipe and do a few batches, last time got about 6 jars worth

i've since found out you dont really need to half and stone them which is time consuming and messy, my nails were stained for a week, just put them in whole and the stone comes out when they soften.  remember to remove the cinnamon and star anise before putting into jars too, i put mine in a wee muslin so its easy to find

Ingredients

450g/1lb red plums, halved and stoned
180g/6oz caster sugar
120ml/4fl oz cider vinegar
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise

Method

1. Put all the ingredients into a pan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes until the plums are tender and the liquid is syrupy. Cool and keep in the fridge.
2. Serve with cheeses or ham.

Replies

• Options

lovely, thanks caroline!! image

Im on the search for a tomatoe one now and thats my chutneys sorted, thanks x

• Options

Here's one  image

Makes about 1.2kg
    Takes 1¼-1½ hours to make, plus cooling and at least 1 month's maturing

Ingredients
    • 1kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
    • 450g onions, chopped
    • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
    • 2 tsp mustard seeds
    • 2 cloves
    • 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
    • 300g sultanas
    • 200g light muscovado sugar
    • 600ml malt vinegar
    Method: How to make tomato chutney

1. Put all the ingredients, apart from the vinegar, in a preserving pan or large, deep saucepan. Add half the vinegar and season.

Tip

To sterilise jars: Wash them thoroughly in warm, clean, soapy water, drain upside down on kitchen towel and place on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1 for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to its lowest setting and keep the jars inside while you make the chutney.

2. Place the pan over a medium heat. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.

3. Stir the vinegar into the chutney. Cook for a further 30 minutes, stirring often, or until thickened. If it's still runny, simmer for another 10-15 minutes.

4. Divide the hot chutney between sterilised jars and set aside to cool.

5. Place a disc of waxed paper directly onto the chutney and seal with airtight lids or Cellophane and elastic bands. Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, for at least 1 month before eating. It will keep for up to 6 months. Chill after opening and use within 1-2 months.

• Options

oh fab thanks hun!!!

Thats something i can do soon and put up.

Anyone know if i can just sterilise the jars in the baby steriliser? The thought of glass in the oven panics me!

• Options
    yeah you can use tablets or steam but dont microwave.  if you use tablets remember to rinse with boiling water like you do the bottles.  in the oven is fine though, dont you have any glass oven dishes?
  • Options
    nope,  i have the pot ones, something about glass scares me! thats fab ill stick em in the steam steriliser, hoping to find some soon, lakeland have 12 or 10, cant remember for £4.98 but im hoping to find em cheaper!
  • Options

yeah lakeland is fab for things like that just dont leave it till too near christmas or they run out.  last year my sister made cranberry gin (delicious) and had to make 3 trips to try get the bottles she needed.

the cranberry gin is super easy to make too, get a bag of frozen cranberries and defrost, drain them and add a whole bag of sugar and leave them for a month remembering to give them a shake everyday.  after a month add a bottle of gin and leave for at least a month to flavour it.  makes a very christmassy g&t

• Options

Thankyou Caroline x Aren't you the christmas queen?!!!

Hampers-r-us I can see it now a nice cottage industry for you! I'm going to have a crack at both of those and the cranberry gin. You're a star x x

• Options
    ooh i know someone whod love the gin, thank you!!! xxx christmas here we come!
  • Options

i have plums coming out my ears at the moment - its the first time that my plum tree has provided us with edible fruits!!image I was happy, but after halving, stoning and freezing 3 carrier bags of plums so far i'm beginning to hate the sight of the bloomin thingsimage still loads t go.....

Great chutney recipe, I am gonna make some simple jam with mine too - just weigh the plums, soften in pan with small amount of water and add same amount of sugar to them - bubble for 10 mins, easy peesey!

• Options

sounds lovely toes!

unfortunatly if i had a tree in my garden that would be it, its the size of a postage stamp! It was very nice of family and friends to buy jack a huge slide, water table, 2 wheelbarrows, little tike climbing cube and a tractor but now you cant get out the back door lol!

• Options

I've had some gin flavouring for most of the year supposedly for christmas gifts but think i'll just polish the lot myself seeing as i've not been abe to drink for ages lol there's always time to knock up and batch in time for christmas image