Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I've got a nursery place for my two girls.

I love having my girls at home. I was talking to my friend recently & she was saying if you dont put your babies name down at the primary school you want them to go to they might have to go somewhere else. I went & visited a primary school, read the online Ofstead report & was very happy. I went in to see the nursery teacher & saw a class being taught. Noth my girls (21 months & 3 months) both have a place waiting for themwhen they are old enough. I am so pleased as I didnt want them going to the school near me. I cant stop grinning about it & had to tell people.

Replies

• Options

Hello,

My little boy is 2.5 and I was wondering when to put his name down for school.

I always thought if you wanted a school that wasnt your closest then it would depend on the amount of people wanting a place that this was there closest school and they would get first choice, is this not the case?  Or perhaps it varies from area, to area - I live in Woking, Surrey.

If that is true I need to look at schools and see which I feel is the best school in my area.  We have a number of schools within about one to one half miles but the closest school as the crow flies is not necessarily the best one.

It is nice for you to know that you your children are going to the school of your choice.

• Options

Glad you have your girls down at the school you want.

You do have to get them in early at some schools.Some of the nursery classes take them just after three now.It comes around so quck,seems one minute they're babies,next you're dropping them off to school.

We changed our children's school last year for various reasons,one of those being its OFSTED report.We went online and found the best school in our area a few minutes walk from our house,so we were very lucky.We went and visited the school for my 7 and 5 year old and liked it so much we put all the babies names down too.Places do run out though cos we still can't get a place for my 9 year old.

• Options

If your worried at all I'd talk to your local council for primary & nursery admissions. They are used to all sorts of queries. OFSTED reports are a great way to see what the school is like but they only have to be carried out every 4 years & a lot can change in that time. If you find a few schools I'd speak to someone at the school to answer any questions & see if you can have a look round. The primary school they are going to has just started running a play group that joins in with the reception class so we are going to the first session in the morning. Going to other playgroups is a great way to chat with other mums to find out what school reputations are like in the area. Good luck.