Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Work problem while TTC

Hello, I'm new to this site and to conception and pregnancy come to that!

Me and my lovely husband have only just started trying to conceive due to my apparently unusual working conditions.

I work for a small printing company which uses many different solvents, thinners and cleaners and the air is thick with fumes all the time. Being concerned about the effect this might have on my future unborn child I spoke to my boss in March about this and he agreed to move me to an upstairs office, away from the main factory and print rooms.

This has led to a bit of a revamp and decoration (as well as moving my desk) which is not finished yet.

I said to my boss that my and my husband would be starting to try at the beginning of June when we had a holiday booked so when I got back I didn't want to have to go into the factory except for very brief periods, such and to fetch something or go through there on my way to the loo, etc.

Now I am back from holiday and my boss says that I will have to work in the factory for two weeks until the redecoration is finished. I'm very concerned because me and my husband started trying on holiday and there is a small chance (OK, teeny!) that I am pregnant already. I really don't want to risk working in that environment but when I raised this with my boss, he said that it's only two weeks and he's been doing the best he can for me (i.e. I'm being ungrateful!) and I have to be fair on him.

I desperately need this job so that I qualify for maternity pay.

Am I being a bit over the top or have I got a valid argument?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Sarah

Replies

• Options
    It's a tricky situation to resolve. You are quite perfectly entitled to ask for alternative working conditions for the safety of yourself and unborn child and as long as you are of childbearing age your employer has a duty to fulfill in meeting your needs. The argument lies in how far have they actually met your needs and how far they have yet to. In this situation, the best course of action is normally to speak to a union if your company has one or ACAS is a route available to all employees for work advice. Explaining things to them they'll advise where you stand with your employer in what you can and can't do to resolve this. Best wishes and hope you can get the results you're after sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated image I'll let you know how I get on!