Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

just won't sleep throught the night!

My son is 8 and half months old and still wakes during the night. He is on solids now and I still breastfeed him 3 times a day (pussz during the night).

My hv said that this is a bad habit I have to brake it. So I tried the controlled crying. He cried and cried till  he vomited. So I had to clean up every time and still nothing changed.Also i hated to listen him crying! 

Others said that pick him up and give him a cudle without puting him on my breast will help. It did as a mean that he went back sleep without feed but was up again 1 hour later. And again and again....  Still he was up at least 5-6 times during the night.

A paediatrisan said that waking is fine because he is a breastfeed baby. But this many times???

Other hv said probably he is still hungry because as apart of the problem he often vomits back his food during the day.

Last week he was very ill we've been in hospital where he had no problem to sleep longer steches...

when we were back from hospital i changed the whole layout of the bedroom with not much luck. 

I have no idea what to do, if somebody have any tricks i haven't tried yet i would be gratefull to hear about ti! thanks!!!

Replies

• Options

My daughter is nearly 6 months old. but she was 10 weeks early. so this little dink of a thing...she she sleeps though the night. I dont ever let her cry anything out on her own and we also co slept for a while as she needed us. and after what she had been though, we let her have us when she needed us as we couldnt be there sometimes.

There is nothing wrong with BFing him still!

Now, Alice does sleep though the night. She power feeds in the evening! I always ALWAYS get her well fed, get her up on my chest and burp/cuddle her to sleep. then gently lay her down in her moses basket. IF she fusses I rock her and rub her back...she then goes to sleep...if she doesnt, I get her up, more comfort, more suckles, more snuggles and THEN she will go down. He is only little still. if he needs you he needs you. IF you want to give up the BFing then dont put him to your breast during the night to settle him. its funny though, when she came home at 4lbs...she was on 4 hourly feeds!

IF it was me...I would give him a bottle and cuddles and then lay him down. if in a cot, have your hand on his back or bum..you can pat or just lay your hand...when I do the pat and rubbing...I gently over a minute LESSEN my pressure on her...so its not..im here, now im gone! if its done slowly she doesnt notice as too busy sleeping!

It is funny though how he slept in hospital...but...he was poorly!!

I would suggest giving him a bottle top up...even if expressed milkies or formula to really TOP him up! so he wont have hunger keeping him away, also it might help bring up a big lump of wind...and therefore sleep better and longer image
    Also...if he wakes up...dont talk to him. just tend to his needs without talking to him and stimulating him xxx

• Options

hello!

its awful to hear ur struggling with your lo sleeping but i have to say,so many people say theirs are sleeping through no problems but how many of those do go totally through without any wake ups at this age??not many,my eldest was a complete mare from 4mths to 14mths.

i believe we over babied him once he got to one we made our lives harder by being too cuddly and available for him and in the end he would wake up just out of habit which took a good month of tough love to break.it was heartbreaking but it seriously did get to the stage where we were both so tired and out of it during the day it just had to be done.

so i guess i would say use ur intuition.there will be a reason that ur baby stirs-hunger,wind (although probably not so much at this age) being over tired not being tired enough and the biggy?Teeth!from seeing with my children i think u know if theres something wrong and your baby is in pain and then cuddles are very muchl due!but hunger?hmmm depends what baby is eating if hes feeding great during the day he should be able to go longer at night-certainly not 5/6 wake ups!you could try offering cooled boiled water in a bottle to make it less appealing for him getting up?

make sure he is getting enough shut eye during the day too as too little can lead to broken restless sleep during the night.dont let him nap past 4pm and give him plenty of wind down time before bed.also i wouldnt advise baby falling asleep on you as when he wakes and realsies your not there it'll be you he cries for!

i think thats all the tips i can think of...oh one last one...be careful if he does wake he may just be stirring,always give him a  few minutes to try and resettle himself or a.)he wont learn to do this by himself and will become dependant on you helping him bk to sleep and b.)he may not actually be fully awake and just be moaning in his sleep-you darting to him could startle him and then make things hard to get him back down!

keep going honey they dont stay young forever but what u teach him about sleep now he will carry through to his early yrs when he'll be even better at playing u up as he'll know his own mind.Be strong xxx

• Options

hi,

Thank's for the help, I tried a lot of it! Only at the end it turned out that my son has otitis media and he was in a lot of pain! The doctor coudn't tell me how long this was going on but his said quite a few weeks... He was fine in the hospital 'cause he had pain killer regularly! Last week we travelled to Hungary where one night he was awake all night screeming. Next day I took him to the doc and he prick both his ears. Since he sleeps much much better.... 

• Options
    I hope he continues to sleep for you.  My son is almost 17 months old, and still wakens during the night, but doesn't get anything, he just cries for a few seconds, then settles again (just enough to waken me).