Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Rottweiller attack!

Yesterday (Sunday) my mum was out for a walk with her 4 small dogs.  As she walked past a house, a rottweiller jumped through the hedge and got one of her dogs.  She initially tried to fight the rottweiller off, and she got bit, but she couldn't get him off her dog.  She had to let go off her dog's lead (just the one that was being attacked) and she took the other 3 into a nearby garden that had a fence around it.  She had only got the gate closed, when the rottweiller, having just killed her dog, came after her for the other 3.

The fence was only waist high, so it slowed the dog down, and the woman that lives in the house heard all the screaming, and opened her door and let my mum and her dogs in.

The police were called, the rottweiller's owner was called (had been in work and had left it roaming without a lead) and an ambulance was also called as my mum thought she was having a heart attack. 

The ambulance crew did a reading of my mum's heart, and it was erractic , so she was taken to hospital, where she had to also get a tetanus injection.  Her heart had calmed down by the time she got to hospital, so she was later sent home.

Meanwhile, my brother (who lives closest) was called, and he took her 3 dogs home, and also the dead dog, after the police photographer took photos for forensic evidence.  She is still very upset, having seen her dog torn to pieces like that.  She is lucky though, as had the woman not been in the house, it could have been so much worse.

Replies

• Options

terrible news!! hope ur mum is getting better now!!

lot of reports on those killer dog! recently, i read on CHAT magazine and TAKE A BREAK. they r talking abt the killer dog. you should get in touch with them and see if they can shamed the dog owner. it is very irresponible to let the dog out without a lead.

poor dog! i hope they will do some justice. have u contract RSPCA?? they might able to help too.

i'm so sorry to say, luckly is ur mum's little dog, what if there is kids around, that will be worst!

send my regards to your mum. hope ur mum get some justice for the little dog!

• Options

Omg how awful for your mum,my thoughts are with her.

How very sad she had to witness the attack,and sadly her dog didn't make it. I do hope your mum will blank out any images she may be facing,I know only too well how hard that can be,9 years ago my cocker spaniel was attacked by a rottie and 3 loose greyhounds on an early morning walk,I had to let go of my puppies lead to save my spaniel,I attempted to fight the dog off,in the end I shamefully resorted to attacking the owner who was watching and laughing.

I narrowly escaped a fine,as they attempted to prosecute meimage however,I did manage to get them to pay my horrendous vets bill,as my dog needed over 130stitches. I wanted their dogs put to sleep,but as all dogs were off lead the law views it tit-for-tat and rotties weren't on the dangerous dogs list then,I'm unsure about now.

I hope your mum rests and then finds the strength to prosecute the moron who left a gaurding breed of such a powerful dog,roaming unattended,that truly is shocking,bad enough your mum has been bitten and has lost her dog,but it could have been a child,or your mum could have lost a limb.

People should think twice before owning these dogs,They are extremely difficult to train properly and are not for the faint hearted.

Bet the shock of all this hasn't helped your recovery either hun x x

• Options

So sorry for your Mum Audrey.What a horrible thing to see happen to a defensless animal.Rotties are so powerful a little dog doesn't stand a chance.

People should think hard before owning a dog like that because if you don't handle them well they can do something just like this.In the right situations and raised properly they may be a lovely family pet,but too often the wrong people have them.

Thank goodness your Mum's alright,and thankfully she didn't have a small child with her.Hope she's feeling better soon.

• Options
    That's aweful. Best wishes to your mum. There is a rottweiller round here that walks around with no lead & no owner. It scares me to death. It's not the bread that bothers me. To be honest, the one round here is daft but it's still an animal & they are unpredictable & you never know what little thing could set them off. A family I know had a big soft dog but if you was wearing a hat he'd bite you. People should take more responsibility for the care of their animals. i hope your mum is feeling better soon.
  • Options

OMG, how awful. Am so sorry for your mum, how upsetting, luckily though, she is Ok, which I am sure must be a relief.

Thinking of you all, best wishes to your mum xx

• Options

Best wishes to your Mum, and hope the other dogs who saw it are OK.

It's bad owners that are the biggest problem!

• Options
    Yes, and apparntly the dog has been reported as it has got loose several times before.
  • Options

Thats just awful.  Best wishes to your mum.  I can only imagine how terrified she must have been.  Hopefully if the dog has been reported before, something more serious might be done about it this time.  As has been said already it could have been much worse.

Things like this give all the more responsible owners a bad name.