Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

From pull ups to pants

This must be the place to get some feedback on the dreaded potty training lol?

We've gone through 6 pairs of pants today and my wooden floor resembled a puddle map....

Despite this we have managed 6 successful 'on the potty' wee wees so I guess we are making progress.

Does anybody else feel that despite all the coaxing and support something will eventually just click with my wee dude when the time is right for him?

Replies

• Options

hi eleanor i'm zoe mummy to charlie who is 2.5 and he is now fully dry during the day which is fab cause u save so many pennies lol. sounds like things are going really well in your house with potty training 6 'on the potty wee's' is better than none lol but it sounds like its early days so keep goin and before u know it he'll be telling you when he needs to go. all i did with charlie was picked up on the signs before he needed a wee for eg holding himself/doing a little jig and just said lets try for a wee on the potty, sometimes were successful some werent its all a case of learning together. we also just kept charlie in pants when we were in the house and the potty was kept in the living room where he could see it and before i knew it one day he took himself off and sat on the potty and did a wee, we also used to make a big fuss with lots of clapping and 'well dones' when he wee'd on the potty.

every child is different at the end of the day and all take different lenghts of time to become dry...potty training is a huge step for our little people but they all get there in the end.....keep up the good work hunny and before u know it he'll be in pants all the timeimage

• Options

Thank you Zoe. Feedback from others is a wonderful thing especially as so many people I encounter at the moment are SO keen to impress upon me the fact that their child is fully panted up! I Like you have said and I feel, it will be what it will be and when he's ready he'll crack it

• Options
    Hi, it sounds like you're doing really well, and Zoe's right in what she says.   Just don't forget it takes time for them to 'get' what they are meant to be doing, and 6 successful potty trips is great.  Just give lots of praise for using it and don't make a fuss when there's an accident.  My son is nearly 3 now, and when I started pt him (just before 2 and a half) the first 10 days were an absolute nightmare...the only stuff that went in the potty was through luck!!  I was seriously thinking about stopping for a bit then re-starting, but then he just seemed to 'get it' and let me know before he started to wee that he needed to go, and apart from the occasional accident has been dry since (except at night when he wears a nappy still).
  • Options

My girls were a bit hit and miss for the first couple of days but then it all just clicks, I kept the potty where they could see it easily, got seat protecters for the car seat and buggy, never left the house without at least 3 changes of clothes and bought a folding potty.

I found my girls got confused when they wore pull ups and forgot to use the potty, they wore them to bed for a good few months after they were dry in the day time but called them night knickers.  My girls trained young but I had used reusable nappies with them.  I still find they have the odd accident if they are ill or too tired and they are now 4 and 3. 

It seems hard to start with but don't give up!  I had my living room floor covered with towels just in case of misses and lots of little stickers for when they used the potty.  The first week is the hardest but you have to stay positive, will all be easier in a few weeks!