Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Post Caesarean Advice Please!!

Hello, just had my fourth child by emergency caesarean as after 12hrs of labour she was found to be transverse and not even in my pelvis!!

As my previous labours were all 4hr naturals with just gas and air this has been a real shocker, to say the least.  I feel really vulnerable physically and no-one seems to be able to give me definitive advice about what I can and can't do. 

Hope you guys can help?!

Replies

• Options

Hi Buster.Congratulations on your new baby.

I had my first section with my 7th baby last year which,after 6 normal births,although two were assisited, was the last thing I expected.The biggest shock was actually not being able to do the things I usually just got on and did as soon as we were home.

Biggest thing is if it hurts don't do it.Your  next youngest is still little but try not to lift them if you have any choice.I had one in a cot when I had my section and putting her in and out of the cot was a definate nono,as was in and out of the bath,my husband had to take over baths.Try not to let your toddler climb on you,maybe put a cushion across the scar if they're on your lap to avoid a stray elbow,or knee.You'll probably be wanting to get up and do a little bit of the things you need to do,but make sure you don't over do it.It's one of those times you just have to rest if you need to.Just see how you feel.You don't have to be laid in bed for days on end,or even sat unable to do anything all day,but you can't just carry on as normal,you just had major surgery.I found pushing the pram was hard,as it was a tandem,and kerbs were a nightmare,just pulled in the wrong place.

Driving is not usually allowed for 6 weeks,even if you think you can,but some insurance companies will let you if you get a letter from your doctor.

I don't think there's a definative list of dos and don'ts.Avoid lifting,be careful getting up,I found kind of rolling helped.Just take it easy and listen to what your body tells you.I was suprised how quickly I was ale to get up  and get on with what I needed to do.

Hope you're feeling better soon.Enjoy your new baby.Congratulations

• Options

Thanks for that, i am really rubbish at relaxing and trying to do nothing is giving me cabin fever.

Any advice re what to wear?  I have found my maternity jeans all fold and poke right into the cut and my pants all do the same! i need BIIIIIG pants right up to my boobs i think.

• Options

CONGRATULATIONS BUSTERimage

I have to have sections(cervical stanosis) and sadly there is no clear cut lines of do's and dont's,it's entirely up to you and how you feel.

Advice I can give is get maternity knickers,bigger the better,whilst your scar heals,I'd become a tracksuit tramp for next few weeks sorry hun,but comfort essential. Take your pain killers regular,drink plenty of water,and if your scar is itchy or sore,have a warm bath with salt in it.

My first section was emergancy,was very lucky drove after 4 weeks,had no probs really with scar,second was elective,scar burst open from doing too much,I drove 3 days later(insurance company had given go ahead) and was ironing 3 days after having him,big no no. I did feel up to it though,which proves that even if you do feel well in yourself,dont push it,I'm exactly like you hun,doing nothing drives me insane but with my third,I intend to look after myself better,and just slow down a little.

Ooh a handy hint,if you feel like your clothes are annoying the scar they do sell c-sec belts,I've not had 1 but my midwife suggested sticking a sanitary towel to the inside of your new sexy huge pants so that is the only thing touching the delicate skin,sounds daft,but oh so comfy!!!!!

Congrats again,chill out,and enjoy baby x x

• Options
    Congratulations on your baby!  As you have been advised above, just be careful and try not to lift.  I've not had a c-section myself, so I don't know much advice to give, apart from what's been said.
  • Options

Congratulations!

I've had 3 sections and after before my youngest was born I got a special c-section belt.  Comes with a plastic shield that goes over a small pillow and also has cold pad and a heat pad.  I lived in it for 6 weeks and its great for period pain too!  My eldest girls were only 2 and 3 and didn't understand not to climb on me to see the baby but I survived elbows and knees and breastfeeding kicks too.  Its not too big and I could wear it under maternity trousers if I was going out so I felt a bit more normal than pyjamas all day.  THink it was from mothercare and about £20 but I'm still using it a year later.

My other tips are, do not even think of going in the car without a cushion between your scar and the seatbelt and if anyone offers to help let them!  Delegate the washing and ironing, don't even try to vac (it hurts) and do quiet one on one things with your older ones, ideally that involve them and you sitting and leave the boisterous things for dad and grandparents to cope with!

My mother in law caught me sorting out the laundry and reminded me that for 6 weeks my job was to feed change and cuddle the baby, and read stories and colour NOTHING else, won't kill your family to not have ironed clothes for a few weeks!

Hope everything goes well for you all!  xxx 

• Options

Stich out, and not painful at all, but MAJOR bruising around cut, could I take arnica whilst breastfeeding?

Also thanks for all the advice, big pants duly bought. Couple of books bought, now need to find somewhere to sit downstairs where no monkeys can climb all over me! Been cooking with them and drawing, but if I read stories they all want to sit on the lap I finally have again.

• Options

Aw bless,glad stitches out went well,big cushion over area???? Tell them it's to keep you warm and if they manage not to touch it they can have another story? Just a thought.

Enjoy the rest hun,you wont be in ''two peg pants'' as me and my friends call them forever!!!! I probably willimage