Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How do people afford to be parents?

So I've always been told that you can never afford to have kids, in the sense that while you have money you'll always find stuff to spend it on. But me and my husband are starting to plan a family and we literally cannot afford it. 

I dont want to be one of those mums that pops the kid out and goes straight back to work but I think I'm going to have too!

Statutory maternity of £138 a week, along with my husbands wage wouldnt even cover our rent and bills let alone any luxuries and stuff actually for the baby!

I would HAVE to go back to work because we'd never survive on 1 wage so then we'd have to pay childcare.

We rent our house and the landlords dont accept anyone on benefit and I hate the thought of having to move because our house is perfect but I'm going crazy over the thought of never being able to have a baby because of money but then wonder how everyone else is doing it so well? 

Any advice, guidance, tips? I feel like im having to write off ever having children.

Replies

• Options

I totally understand how you feel as I am in the same boat. Luckily with my job I get 90% of my wage for 18 weeks but then just get statutory. I managed to save a little money to make up my wage before I go back back to work. Any chance you could try to save up some money and have leas luxuries for a little while. My daughter is 15 weeks and we have managed so far but next month my money drops and it is a constant worry if we will manage or not. I am hoping to be off till June but if money runs out then I will have to go back before.

its frustrating that working people get absolutely no help :-( x

• Options

Aww, so sorry to hear that you're worried Ang. DH and I are fortunate that I should be able to manage my year off with less pay, though it does worry me and we do have to change our lifestyle (for example fewer dinners out).

My brother and sister-in-law struggle with money and they just had a beautiful baby girl (and they already have an 18 month old). They had to give up some things they really enjoyed like sport and eating out. 

It does seem unfair that money has to be such a big concern when you should just get to enjoy your new baby.

Wish I had more tips for you.   All the best hun :)

• Options

Oh and mummawannabe, it sucks that your statutory is so little. I'm in Canada and we get 60% of what your regular pay is (it caps at $450/week) which is a bit better.

I hope you don't feel like you can't have a family because of this...i know it sucks, but save save save, have your family and live sensibly during your maternity leave

Best of luck :)

• Options

Whatever your circumstances and whatever happens you will manage. We were skint first time round, up to our eyeballs in debt, and managed. We are considerably better off this time even though I was made redundant last July and still not working again yet, and have still found ourselves skint lol but my kids don't want for anything. You will find a way and manage because you have no choice! Kids are expensive but if we all worried about finances too much to have them we'd be extinct lol. Don't worry about it so much and enjoy the excitement. Everything works out in the end 👍

• Options

I have 6 soon to be 7 what a roller coaster thts been but working redundancy temp work loosing a house to my ex juggling tht and the kids there's always a way to afford havjng 1 I dnt go for meals out and family days out are in the park and a picnic no hols but I have my family and when all is said and done a job is a way to pay the bills nothing more you re adjust you adapt the early years are fleeting I wouldn't change my life if I had a crsutal ball and saw how hard it was going to get I doubt I would of had any but I'm lucky my sister can't have children the only fear I've  had is telling her not loosing a job or bring on my own  I had a gorgous house I had to relocate 3 times in 3 years life sn't set and too much emphasis is put on I can't afford if you spend less than you earn your rich is what my gran always used to say sometimes it's just having a little faith and believe me half of the free sites for baby stuff and eBay wasn't around when I was a child my mum says now half of what I get for mine she couldn't have in her day and I'm not tht old a baby is expensive as you make it and a lot can be said for hand me downs should you take the leap rant over ... Xxx good luck