Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Going through first miscarriage

hello i am new to this site....looking for any information....i started having my m/c on the 15.12.14 started as brown spotting within 3days had turned to bright red with clots,on the 20.12.14 it was so bad i ended up in a+e on a drip with low blood pressure....going through painful cramps....i decided to go the natural route...i am booked in for a scan on the 6.01.15 to see if i have managed to pass the sac on my own....i am scared + unsure how long this will last....i don't know if i have passed the sac already.....i didn't find out until my 12week scan.....thanks for any comments x x x 

Replies

• Options

Hi limby. So sorry that you are going through this.

i have had 2 miscarriages Myself & my first was a missed miscarriage like yours... I found out at 9 weeks & baby had died around 6. The scan showed that the sac had continued to grow though until about 10 weeks (i was first advised to wait & try to miscarry naturally). What I can tell you is in my experience I definitely knew when I had passed the sac.. It was very obviously different to the blood & clots. It was about the size of a small chickens egg, a pinkish grey colour & a spongy / blamongey sort of look to it. I didnt look too closely but didnt see anything that looked like the embryo...  Baby was too small / underdeveloped for that.

apologies for the detail but i know when I was going through my first all I wanted was to know what was going to happen / what i would experience... The waiting & not knowing was so hard.

if you've been having severe cramps & bleeding it is likely that when you go for your scan it will show that you have passed everything ok but if for some reason you havent then you may need a d & c. I had a d & c with my second loss & can reassure you that it is ok. The pain is minimal afterwards (only mild cramps). If they give you the choice of d & c or medication to induce the miscarriage fully then you need to weigh up your options & decide whats best for you.... I had to take medication with the first & it was extremely painful (I ended up in the ER with extreme pain & very heavy bleeding). Others however say that it was not as painful. The advantage to the medication over the d & c is that only the minimal amount of uterine lining is shed. With a d & c my OB told me that more lining is removed which can mean that if you want to try to conceive again straight away your lining will be too thin to support this for a few months. (But again i've heard stories of women conceiving again straight after a d & c). 

If you have any other questions limby or need to talk please let me know. There are lots of people on here who can offer support... You are not alone going through this.

rest up as much as you can... Try to eat & drink as much as you can... Dont worry about bei g healthy... Just eat whatever you fancy... If that means chocolate for breakfast... Thats ok for now! & remember to find time & allow yourself to grieve for your little one... Your baby's life is a life lost that you will never forget & will hold a special place in your heart.

x