Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

mirena

Hi there, I am using this site for the first time as I need advice on my Mirena and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have tried searching for answers on Google but can't get any answers. 

I am 25 in June and don't have any children. I have had my Mirena in for 5 years with no problems and I tried getting it removed yesterday by my Doctor. She did a smeer test and then wanted to remove my Mirena and insert a new one but the problem was she couldn't get hold of my threads. She then used these long tweezer things and it hurt so badly that I asked my Doctor to stop as the pain was unbearable. She then told me that I need to go to hospital and have a microscope inserted so they can see where it is and remove it and they might need to give me some anaesthetic. I am petrified! I have an appointment at the hospital with a Gynaecologist on the 14th of May so it's a long wait...problem is I have cramps in my lower abdomed that feel like I'm on my period which I haven't had for 5 years. I am also getting discharge everytime I go to the loo and the colour is different as if I was gonna start my period!! Could it be possible that my mirena moved while she was trying to get the threads. Apparently my threads have curled up. 

If anyone can advise me on this I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• Options

My advice is if your in pain and don't feel right go straight to a&e tell them what happened with your doctor, don't leave it, if things are not how they normally are then get checked out, waiting till May is far too long xx

• Options

Thank you for your reaponse Sarah. I will give my doctor a call in the morning and maybe she can get me an earlier appointment. I'm worried that it might have moved and I'm panicking. Thank you for your advice. If I am not better in a few days then I will go to a&e.

• Options

I would defo get checked out its not worth the risk when it comes to that area (couldnt think of a nice way of saying it lol ) 

hope all gets sorted hun xx

• Options

Thank you. I have not had any problems with my Mirena in the 5 years I had it and wanted to get it removed so I could have a new one till I decided to have children but I am petrified after Friday and something is definitely wrong. I feel like a bus hit me since Friday and I'm nauseas but without getting sick.. thank you for ur support hun. I shall keep you posted on what happens and hope you didn't have a bad experience like this image

• Options

Don't panic hun, I had a mirena for 7 years in total (2 different ones) before we TTC for DD. 

The reason that you're having the cramps and the bleeding/discharge is because she's probably aggravated your cervix trying to remove the coil. It won't have done any harm like that internally. With my second coil they cut the strings too short and I had to go for an internal scan just to check that the coil was still in the right place etc - it's nothing to worry about. Hopefully at your appointment they will just see it and take it out. 

With the Mirena it can be quite sensitive if you haven't had children, I found getting it replaced very painful (nearly fainted) and had bad cramps and some bleeding for a few days - but found it was worth it to not have to worry about birth control for 5 years etc. 

good luck, I know it's hard but try not to worry - the more relaxed you are the easier it will be for them x

• Options

Thank you MrsHunt. You have put my mind at ease. I would love to get a new one as it's the best thing I have ever done but getting it removed has become a nightmare. What you are saying makes alot of sense so I will see how I feel and then decide whether or not to go back to my doctor or wait for my appointment in may.

have a great day hun

• Options

Hi redfox, 

Just wondered how you were feeling and if the cramps had got any better?

• Options

Good morning MrsHunt,

I feel good thanks. I have a colposcopy appointment next week Monday as my smeer results came back abnormal so I will ask the gynaecologist if she can remove my Mirena and insert a new one then I don't have to get it done next month. How are you doing?

Have a lovely day image

• Options

Ah redfox I'm glad to hear it (not about the abnormal smear obviously). 

Fingers crossed everything is fine and they can remove/replace the coil. 

I'm all good thanks - 27 weeks pregnant with a toddler so life is quite hectic ATM!