Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone one know about genetic disorders??

As you know I don't have the greatest relationship with my mum, but she has just called to say she has come  back from Guys genetics dept and she may require me to have some genetic testing done.

Basically for the past few months she has been going to hospital to have polyps removed from her colon. As they remove them they are constantly finding more behind them. She had over 50 removed so far. The team at hospital were astounded and never seen anything like it and so she was referred on. They believe she has a mutant gene which is causing this carpet like effect of polyps to grow. As its genetic she could have inherited it from her parents or been the first to have the disorder, either way if she does have this gene mutation athlete is a good chance she has passed it to me, and in turn the I could pass it to my boys. 

If the mutant gene is confirmed ill have to go for blood tests and a colonoscopy to see if its passed to me and if it has how advanced my condition is. 

All I can think about is what if I'd passed it to my boys. 

The hospital said its so rare to see this disorder that they asked my mum to donate the specimen polyps and all her notes to medical research to make an educational case study of her experience. 

I don't know what to think. 

2013 hasn't been good to me health wise so I'm not feeling optimistic!!!

Replies

• Options

I have a genetic disorder that I may/may not have passed to my children, was gutted but so far they don't appear to have the same thing as me although it may become more apparent as they get older. It's *** when you think you may have given the people you love more than anything in the world a gentic disorderHug

• Options

Bloody hell love. I've no experience but honestly sweetie there is nothing you could have done if you have passed something on. Don't be worrying about nothing. BIg hugs x

• Options

I need to step away from google. If I'm a carrier of a mutated APC gene the likely good of me having a form of colorectal cancer by the age of 40 is nearly 100% :-(

• Options

Step away now.

• Options

Woooo step WELL away from google it is NEVER your friend.

I'll give you the opposite side of the coin. My sister had retina blastoma and was told it was a genetic disorder and her siblings would ahev the same thing. We didn't. So the consultant then said her children would haev it. They didn't. Then then said her nieces and nephews would ahve it. They didn't. Hers was completely a one off. There is a massive possibility that your mum has a one off. And hang on your mum obviously hasn't developed coloreactal cancer by the age of 40 so why on earth would you? Would you like me to google for you?

• Options

I've never heard of it and hope it's nothing serious. Stop googling!

I have a 19% chance of passing on my scoliosis to A as she's a girl but something like less than 5% for N as it's less common in boys. I would feel awful if either of them got it as it takes over your life :-(

• Options

My mum has had awful health since her 30's...but started refusing treatment for everything including tumours about 7 years ago. Who knows, I just don't want my boys to have it.

• Options

Ah Hun, this is not what you need this week leading up to Sunday. The others are right though, try not to worry lovely, easier said than done I know. Don't google anything xxx

• Options

Step away from google. If there is a genetic disorder, there is nothing you can do about it but be informed (and google isn't the place for that). I personally think forearmed is forewarned, but before you have any kind of testing, you should be offered genetic counselling.

That must have been really difficult to hear, especially if your relationship is already testy.

• Options

It's probably not that interesting a read but if I am a carrier this is what me and the boys potentially have to look forward to.

www.nhs.uk/.../FamilialadenomatouspolyposisMCS6pages.pdf

If my kids have it ill be devastated for them. Colonoscopy for them from the age of ten....removal of the bowel to avoid the cancer, it's ***.

I'm praying "it won't happen to us"!

• Options

Have you had ill health at all, or any symptoms relating to this? If not, you might be ok and might not have the gene. I'm sorry you're having to go through this Hug

• Options

I was thinking exactly what BW said. There is only a 50% chance you might have it, so possibly not having and your kids will be fine aswellHug If you have had no symptoms then it may well be that you don't have it. I was 'lucky' in that I didn't worry about anything before because I knew I was ill but not what with. Whereas I think you are in a horrible position of not being ill but worrying about having itHug

• Options

Hug please stop googling, no advice but lots of hugs xxx

• Options

No idea chick, but lots of love xxxx

• Options

I have no advice but sending you loads of vibes for your mums tests to be clear so you don't need to worry about it any more. When is your mum due her results?

• Options

Just seen this, talk to you soon lovely x