Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Are your kids allowed to wear "brands" to school?

C brought a letter home, saying that they "request that children do not wear branded items, as we have a lot of families unable to afford these, and we feel it would be unfair to the children who can not afford them"

C has a Bench winter coat... He is apparently not allowed to wear this, or the Adidas trainers he has for PE. Kids who have branded school bags, have been asked to replace them etc etc.

SO, the families who CAN afford branded goods, now need to spend more money, buying non branded goods. I went and asked the Head teacher for £50, to replace C's coat, and trainers...

I know this is the norm in a lot of places, but 1 month into the new school term??? It has never been an issue before. I told the head that C's things will be replaced when they NEED to be replaced. I know I am probably being unreasonable, but it has irked me.

Replies

• Options

That's ridiculous. I'd be the same as you and telling them where to stick it. Are the teachers following the same guidelines as well, so no deisgner handbags, or branded trainers for the pe department?!

What did the head say when you told them what you did?

And to answer your question they can wear stauff as long as it's not in your face so black kickers but not the kicker tags, schools bags can be any colour as long as the size is correct, and try telling a 1000 teenagers they can't wear Nike for pe ROTFL

• Options

His response to my request for money, was "erm... *cough cough* *looks uncomfortable* erm..."

I did ask about the teachers, as their PE teacher is always dressed head to toe in Nike, the head said  "children only get jealous of other children, not staff members".

It was similar to a question I asked at my old high school. I wasn't allowed my nose or eyebrow piercings in, yet Asian students were, for "cultural" reasons, and a member of staff was allowed his eyebrow ring in...

Seems a lot of other parents are p!ssed off about it, yet as always, it seems to be only me who speaks up...

Oh, and in response to me not replacing C's stuff, he said "well Mrs AK, we obviously can't force you to, but we would hope that you respect how it would make the other children feel"

• Options

That's crazy, making you pay out for more things (or trying to ha). And your last sentence...talk about guilt trip. I wouldn't be buying new things, no way. I can understand maybe not having labels emblazoned all over their things like Belle said as that's just tacky and scruffy anyway most of the time but a more subtle label surely is fine. People need to man up. So a child is jealous, so what? Be jealous and then get over it.

• Options

Jealousy is healthy... ha.

TBH, I don't know THAT many 7 - 10/11 yr olds who get jealous about labels...

It's some parent, who has gone in to complain, I can guarantee that.

• Options

You are right there AK.

• Options

A local comp near us has had a big falling out and sent dozens of pupils home the frst few days of term for this.

They need to give lots of notice of this type of thing, even if the policy is already in place, the enforcing of it should be phased in to give parents a chance. I agree with the principle of it but schools seem to make a hash of implementing it and for kids to miss schooling as a result is just crazy.

• Options

Is it just me or would it not be hard to get unbranded stuff? Trainers I mean? Where would you buy them from if not sports shops?

FWIW I agree completely with you. Once you've already bought the stuff why shell out for more because some parent doesn't like it.

• Options

I think that if they were going to bring in the rule then it should have been before the summer, so send a letter out saying that after summer no brands will be allowed that way people wouldn't have bought branded stuff iyswim and they would have had plenty if notice. It's a bit daft, not even a month into the new school year to change something as bug as uniform. What is on their uniform policy (might be on their website)   Ls school does have it on the uniform policy that its white t shirt, black shorts and black plimsoles for PE, the school gives them A school bag with the name of school on it and jackets wise its either plain coloured jackets or there's a waterproof school jacket. Iv not seen any child at the school with branded clothes,

• Options

The uniform policy for PE is Blue or white t-shirt, black shorts or tracksuit bottoms, and trainers (they do a lot of their PE outside, unless totally p!ssing it down)

They don't get given a bag (they did at infants school), and can wear any coat they want (well, they used to be able to... )

A lot of kids have branded coats, trainers, tracksuit bottoms and bags.

I'd have had less of an issue, if they had indeed, handed a letter out at the end of last term.

• Options

What is the world coming to!! It seems to be getting more and more ridiculous. I can't afford a designer handbag but we don't ban them at work do we??

I've got this all to come I guess!

• Options

At my place that has always been the rule - it has to be unbranded and tbh jsut assumed that was the rule everywhere as it was the same when I went to school. And you can pick a pair of unbranded trainers from Matalan for £6! And gym shoes for £3 from Asda.

And at our place the rules are enforced for everyone - so no facial piercings and that includes the Nepali students that have it for 'cultural' reasons. No 'unnatural' hair colours and that does include staff as well. I used to have red ahir until the rule was brought in whilst I was on ML.

I am surprised it has been suddenly brought in as a rule - maybe it is one of those rules that has been around for ages but wasn't enforced?

• Options

It should have been stated well before the summer break, otherwise as you say as and when it needs replacing you will abide.

• Options

QI - the rule about hair dye at my old school, was "only school colours", we had a lovely brown, gold and white uniform... until sixth form, where it was black and blue.. Hello blue hair!!! My teachers hated me Laugh

• Options

There aren't any rules about branded clothes at my daughter's school. I certainly would be complaining if they tried to enforce it one month into a new school year. Its not unreasonable in itself its just the timing of the request.