Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Charity at Christmas

Sorry crap title, couldn't remember what *** called and wasn't sure if it was a nationwide thing. 

our radio station here (its nationwide but we are nw obv) anyway they are asking for people to buy an extra present at Christmas and hand it in to a collection depot so that 'every child in Manchester' will have a present to open on Xmas day. Wells know its not obviously going to reach everyone but it was really successful last year. Anyway L wants to get something with his money Weep he's going to get for a boy his age. We are buying one, what age do you think? I was thinking teenage boy kind if 12-15 really as I just kind of think maybe everyone wants to buy for babies/little girls. Anyway WTF are young teenage boys into?? 

Is there anything similar in your area? Are you taking part?

Replies

• Options

No idea why it starred out it lol

• Options

Our local shopping centre has a collection box (the size of a skip) to put extra presents in, which go to a local children's hospice.

Each time I go into town, I buy a little something to put in. NO idea what teenage boys are into though...

• Options

That's nice ak, iv been doing that in asda as they have trolleys for people to donate food.

God its hard enough buying for my boys lol

• Options

That's really lovely that L wants to do it.

Teenage boys are a mixed bag, as I know from my several nephews. One was into those Lego bionicals building kits for years which always seemed like a young present to buy him but its what he wanted and was happy with. That could suit a 12 year old still.

Mostly they like computer games and stuff like that, which is probably more than you want to spend. You could get some hair gel, that kind of thing, aimed at young men that might go down well.

• Options

Thanks cedar, I was thinking maybe the more technical Lego or similar, although that would maybe be 12/13, will have a browse

Yes he only has maybe a few pounds from when he seen hs aunty and its in his bank, but he wants to buy them a bike or scooter ROTFL,

• Options

Aww, bless his heart.

So lovely when kids decide to do stuff like this.

• Options

lynx type gift set.

not reaaly a toy but most  13/14 yr old use this sort of thing?

• Options

Yes I might do that Carole with something else, h said anything football related.

• Options

You should go to poundland. I buy loads of branded stuff from there to put in charity boxes...

• Options

We do Christmas shoeboxes at work. My form filled 21 this year. Things we added for boys were stationary, socks/gloves/hat/scarf with a football or cartoon theme. A pack of cards, sweets, a travel chess set, wind up chatter teeth, bath stuff.

• Options

I'd go for smellies. Most that age that I know wouldn't play with anything like lego. Cheapo MP3 player maybe?

• Options

A small radio controlled car with batteries, if these kids don't have anything, they are going to appreciate anything they get, they might never have had a lego set.  Makes me realise how lucky our children are.

• Options

How sweet of L.  Not sure if there's anything round here, I'm going to keep my eye out now especially at the supermarkets.

Just thinking what I used to buy my nephew a few years ago - what about a DVD (although that's assuming they have something to watch it on).