Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Employers expectations

Any of you out there who are employment, particularly if you work in a school would your head expect you to tell them if you were applying for other jobs. Really pissed off with work as CPD for support staff is now the same as teacher's and some the categories don't apply to us making it harder to be able to go for training also if you want to drive to a training session you now have to have business car insurance. We are being pushed to use public transport even if it isn't the most efficient or cheapest means of transport.

Replies

• Options

Business insurance is not all that much to add to your car insurance, most business request this - the mileage rate you get paid should cover petrol, wear and tear and the additional insurance. I work in a charity so don't think it is unreasonable.

If your applying for other jobs i would only expect you to let know those who are going to give you a reference at the point you need one. Unless you are using it as a bartering tool for  a pay rise

• Options

Weirdly it might sound strange I don't want business use added to car insurance. I know it sounds petty, the courses I have gone on some of them free and meaning just leaving work early I never even bothered to claim mileage. I now feel stuff it I am not going to bother putting myself out to go on a course. It is the continual moving of goal posts that annoys me. Particularly when they expect so much and pay so little. I am massively overqualified for the job I do but was placed on the bottom of the pay scale when I started. Head's mantra is everyone has to be treated the same except not every one is. The not understanding or chosing to not understand what the role involves.

Our head expects us to tell him even if not being used for ref's. Well the chances are he wont be asked for what I am considering applying for. I am thinking of going on a course at Uni, so I can retrain and move in a diff dirrection. If the Uni interview isn't during school hours I wont being saying anything if or when I accept.

• Options

Until this term I have loved my job and would have considered doing it long term.