Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Fundraising

Just curious really - do you do any? If so, what type? Or are you more of a donater than an organiser?

I'm involved in my works charity wing of the Sports & Social Club and I struggle to get people to be actually involved in our fundraising events - everyone is more than generous but no-one ever wants to give up their time to organise an event.....

Replies

• Options

I did the race for life this year and have done it previous years. When Dexter was born I donated breast milk to my local hospital for poorly and premature babies. Was a very good feeling to know that I did something that helped and would have mean't so much to parents/babies that received it. I am on the organ donor registry too. So I think I do a bit of both really but mainly donating.

I can see where you are coming with the event thing. People like to say they will help but when it comes to it, they are less likely to actually do it.

• Options

Oh I never knew you can donate breast milk - that a lovely thing to do! I had been meaning to do the race for life this year but then stupidly went and wrecked my knee so I don't know now when I'd be able to do it or if!

• Options

I also did the race for life this year, I really enjoyed it and would definitley like to do it again maybe even the 10k if I feel crazy next year lol! I would like to do more but it's knowing what and where to start.

• Options

I have in the past done sponsered events. We (me and my husband) run an Saturday Rock School our students have been asked to and have taken part in a number of charity fundraising events. We have sold oversized badges to raise money for midlands air ambulance. We are planning on doing a fundraising music event for Muscular Dystrophy UK as husband has Beckers muscular dystrophy (BMD) an another band members nephew has a condition also supported by MD(Uk), We are hoping to get people who know H or who have BMD to perform. probably around this time next year.

• Options

Oh people are often much more willing to give money than time.

• Options

I've done race for life once and the great south run once (I'm not a sporty person so neither is likely to be repeated - great south run was hell!)

I donate monthly to the dogs trust and quarterly to cancer research. Just bought a ton of charity raffle tickets for the neonatal unit Amethyst was on after she was born - they had a fundraising 80's night too but we couldn't go to that :(

• Options

I give monthly to a well known cancer charity via direct debit, but then tend to support little known disease charities.

I have a weird and whacky illness, which thankfully I don't need much support with, but because of this I come across lots of people with little known illnesses that get virtually no help compared to those with well known illnesses. I'm not saying those with well known illnesses like cancer, cerebral palsy or MS don't need support, but I find it odd that if you are just as ill but have something like Charcot Marie Tooth, Lupus, Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia or Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyadicularneuropathy that there's no support out there. So I give to these type of charities annually as a lump sum as well.

I'd love it if they created a charity that overarched all illnesses and supported those in needs rather than giving to those just with illness X, then you know you could support those even if they had an illness you'd never heard of.

• Options

I've organised charity events and fundraisers and attended them and in other cases just given money. For me it all depends on the situation. I also give a couple of hours a week to a charity (or did before i gave birth) and then £10 a month to another one. I much prefer to give (and ask for) money when there is something in return. So I don't like sponsored run type fundraising but I do like raffles, events, charity shops etc.