Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Potty training ponder.

S by 19months was telling us when he was weeing in his nappy. Since then he uses the potty whilst in the house with only a few accidents. If I put underpants on him he tends to wet them, like he thinks he has a nappy on again. I've not tried underpants for a while because if this and so he is just bare bummed in the house. Is it just his age, only just two? It's just he does so so well with a bare bum and potty that it's such a shame I can't help him understand more with pants, or should I just keep trying?

Replies

• Options

N did exactly this but he was older. It was the only thing stopping him from being properly trained. I tried taking him out commando style and he wet himself once so I gave up and tried again with pants a few weeks later. He was starting pre-school again after Christmas and I decided it was now or never, he had two accidents at school and then he understood that he had to tell the teacher if he needed to go. At home before this he would take himself off but he couldn't ask at school as his speech was quite delayed so I think those accidents made him realise he had to be proactive.

Maybe just leave him as he is at home and stick with a nappy for outside and try again in a two weeks?

• Options

If he "gets" the whole potty thing, i'd keep trying.

• Options

Thanks, he is right onto it. He will be playing away then just run off for the potty when needed. It's just that something next to his skin that confuses him. His spearhead has come on loads this last month so maybe me talking him through it more will help more now?

• Options

I will add P was just about to turn three when he was potty trained. He just took to it straight away and was great so my plan was to wait until a similar age again but it was S that was instigating it.

• Options

The talking definitely helps. I am sure that is why J trained so much earlier than C did.

• Options

I'd try him again. If your changing from bare to nappies its not surprising that he thinks he's wearing one when he's got the pants on. I'd keep him in pants for a day at home and hopefully he'll realise that he has to remember that they are not a nappy. Remembering in time and getting them off are the important parts.

• Options

To add, with regards to the pants, i'd do what Cedar said. With C, even if he kept wetting them, i'd put another pair on. Figured he'd not learn if I kept them off him.

• Options

I told N to just shout 'pee pee' or 'poo poo' as he was running off to the toilet so that hopefully he would do it at nursery and when we are out because if they can't tell you how can they go? If his speech is good then get him to say a simple phrase so he can tell you.

• Options

So keep the pants on no matter then. I may have a day in with him Monday and see how it goes.

• Options

With C, Ijust bought loads of cheapo pants from Primark, and once he "got it", we went out and bought some character pants for him. Plus. If he did a poo, I could just chuck them.