Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stupid decisions schools make

Just so annoyed with my son's school.  The headteacher decided to give the children the choice whether they took their books home. My son age 7 year 2 decided he would not take them home. Was shocked his reasoning was we had seen the books when we came into school so he decided not to bring them home. I spoke to the teacher and she did get them for us. I think the parents should have been given a slip to sign as to if we wanted our child to bring their books home. I spoke about it with his teacher, yes I am a high maintenance parent she said well you have them now I said I wanted her to explain why as a parent I didn't like the heads decision. I have now emailed the head and vented my fustration.

Replies

• Options

I dont think I would have bothered complaining to the head, you spoke to the teacher she gave you the books, so its sorted.

• Options

I think I complained because it was the heads idea. I am also aware I'm incredibly grumpy and angry at the moment. I am not enjoying the heat.

• Options

It's a strange idea of the head's, but you asked for the books and got them, so I don't really see the problem.  Tbh I hate nothing more than faffing around handing out/collecting in/sorting out slips, and for something like taking books home- that's not really slip worthy.    There is no 'you have to have your child's books' law. None of my class have been able to take anything because we're expecting Ofsted next term so they get kept by school for evidence.  

• Options

Catarina, I get it when they need them for some reason, they kept most of my son's book from year 1. I know they have to keep books from various levels. I am happy I have the books. I would just prefer that children are just given them. The heads reasoning was she didn't want books dumped in the playground. Maybe I have more of an urge to keep things than other people. I had my projects from junior school and some of my secondary books. For me it was a link to the past and happy memories. My mum died when I was 16. I want my son to have tangeble memories again because my H has serious health issues. There is no reason why the head would realise things like this would hit a roar nerve with certain parents. I am also aware my reaction isn't entirely rational.

• Options

Do you mean their workbooks? C's school keep all of his until they're full, they just roll over year on year. I've kept a selection of the books but can't possibly keep everything they come out of school with. I don't really have anywhere to store 3 x kids various different workbooks at home. Can understand why you'd want to keep the books though, it is nice to look back at them sometimes. I found an old maths workbook of mine from secondary in my parents garage, it was nice to reminisce what it was like when I actually had a brain that worked!

• Options

In all honesty I can understand why you would have been annoyed and if anything contacting the head is the better option. It wasn't the teachers fault and it would have been unfair for them to get flack for something they have no control over. I think 99% of the boys would have said they didn't want the books so you're probably not the only one.