Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What can I do? Job related

This is sweary! Sorry

my old boss hasn't terminated my contract at my old work meaning that I won't get my p45 till April 26th, I will be paid at bottom band because my new work any take into account my continuous service and il have to pay emergency tax for not only march but also April!!!

my old salary and wages dept are furious (as am I!) and so are my new salary and wages dept. The old wages dept say they shouldn't have to be running round trying to sort it it should be my boss. They had no idea I left so have paid me in full for march (I phoned them asking them to send my p45 as I still hadn't got it and they'd no idea I'd left), anyway I'm now obviously in arrears to them as I only worked 2.5 weeks with them in march. 

i phoned old boss, no response so I left message and emailed, I then emailed his boss and told them I wanted this sorting ASAP as I have given them 8 weeks notice I was leaving! Anyway no response from either.

salary and wages from old work and new work have also sent emails to both of them (boss and big boss)

i know itl all get back dated and I won't loose money in the end but Ffs I'm so furious at incompetence.

we are re mortgaging and I need to send my payslips for 3 months (feb match and April) well now march and Aprils pay have been f*cked up so I'm worried itl affect the mortgage.

my h says I need to complain, but who too? My h says if we incur bank charges we should ask for them to be paid but can I do that? I'm so angry that because someone hasn't terminated my contract despite me giving formal notice for 8 weeks I'm now loosing out money! 

Can anything be done?

Replies

• Options

Gosh, no idea sorry but hope it gets sorted soon what a total PITA

• Options

In theory, any tax that you have over paid due to being on the non-cumulative code (emergency code shall we say), should be refunded to you once your P45 has been received and the details updated.

Having worked in payroll in the past, I would have thought they could re-run the payroll to show your correct salary details and then work out the difference between what you have been paid and what you should have been paid so that you can work out a way of repaying anything you've been overpaid. That way, it makes sure that your payslips show the correct figures in terms of salary.

They'd probably have to leave your tax code as it is as they can't amend this without your P45, but as I said, in theory you should get any extra tax paid back.

I'd also certainly ask them to cover the costs of any bank charges incurred because of their error.

• Options

Only thing I know is yes they definitely should pay the bank charges as it is their error.

I would think for the remortgaging you could also perhaps get a letter confirming your salary from your new job to stick in with the payslips and obviously you should provide an explanation about the situation. What a ridiculous easily avoided situation though, hope it gets sorted quickly CP.

• Options

Actually CP, Alsi makes a good suggestion re the letter. I've just been thinking that the NHS probably have an issue with revising a payroll as it might involve large numbers. I'm sure there'll be able to find a way round it for you x

• Options

I'd complain to the director of HR. Its clearly a flawed system if your boss can ignore it and should be highlighted. Its incompetence. I don't suppose you'll get very far. I used to be paid via a major NHS leading Trust and they often did things like this - paid people in full after they'd left and miscalculated my old managers PAYE so she didn't pay enough and suddenly got a huge demand from the inland revenue.

• Options

What a pain!

I used to work in HR for the NHS so have a little knowledge about these things, in terms of being paid at the bottom of the band if you take in your most recent payslip the new payroll should honour what's on there. If they do mess up any bank charges for you get a print out from the bank and take it in - they should reimburse you as expenses and not taxable through the payroll. If they can get it sorted they may be able to pay you the difference by CHAPS but I don't think it will be a big enough payment for them to do. For the tax can they not send of a P46 to get you off emergency tax before your P45 goes through? That's what we would do.

Definitely complain - I would initially to the HR Manager (it will likely get referred to them) and then the Director if things aren't resolved properly or to your satisfaction. Good luck let me know if you need any info x

• Options

How fecking irritating. Like Cedar said this is incompetence and a flaw ina  system which has probably affected others and needs to be highlighted as a problem. I am sorry you are having such a shitty situationHug

• Options

Thanks everyone, typically I found out at 3pm before a bank holiday Bang head

Grif new wages dept says I can't just hand in old wage slip as they need all other forms?????

I'm trying to get through the whe if April without spending as I'm not sure just how sh1t the April wage will be Weep I'm going to be on the phone at 8am Tuesday, I'm glad I know that I actually can complain to someone though. X

• Options

O also that's good re the remortgage that I can perhaps send old wage slips and a cover letter from new wage dept?

X

• Options

Oh so they haven't sent anything for new starters! That's not great but should be able to be sorted on Tuesday they need to make it a priority, they really don't need a P45 before being able to sort tax or pay band. You definitely can complain, keep on at them and emphaise the possibility of charges and how much time and effort that will take up to sort!