Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Work Rant

They are driving me bonkers at the moment.  I am planning an event for September, people coming from all our locations globally blah blah blah.  have been trying to sort this for weeks (ask Belle!) and I am still no further forward with a dinner solution for 150 people that both the event leaders are happy with (CEO and Head of HR).  They are driving me mental with the changing remit and I have just about exhausted all possibilities.  I have narrowed it down to a list of four venues (all on hold and giving me hassle to confirm) but one wants modern with a view, the other wants historical.  now I have to take them BOTH to each place next week which I really don't have time to do, including tasting menus (which I cannot taste but thats a whole different story!) and get them to make a decision.  They keep suggesting random places which a) I have tried and booked, b) are over budget (which is hard as this is costing a BOMB!) and c) are no where big enough/close enough to the day events and the hotel.

GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH!

Replies

• Options

Oh how frustrating for you! I am no good at organising big events like that, I would be rubbish doing your job. Where are the venues?

• Options

Has to be central london, near the City and they do not want to take them out in coaches.  Have a beautiful venue for the day but they want dinner somewhere else.   Does not help that it is london fashion week the same week so a lot of the good venues are hired out.

• Options

Ahh yes it'll be very busy in London that week! I wouldn't know where to start lovely so I'm no help to you.. Does sound like they are being a bit picky though..?

• Options

I thought you had this all sorted. Can't believe they are expecting tasting menus next week What 2 have been shortlisted?

• Options

Coq D'Argent and The Tower of London.  Also have the OXO Tower on hold and a new restaraunt in the Shard but that one doesn't open until September so it may be too risky

• Options

Didn't the Shard mess all this up for you because they delayed the opening?

Was Maddisons / Heron Tower no good?

• Options

Yes that was the hotel that was in the Shard, the place on hold is chain called Aqua (they have place in london and abroad)

Heron Tower did not havae the capacity and Maddisons was booked

It's ridiculous, one of them told me we were going with Coq and then the other one said no!

• Options

Aqua Neuva? Been to the Regent Street one, gorgeous food, Japanese and Spanish.

I'd blag it and say the Tower isn't free now. Go with Argent.

• Options

I think it's time you "managed up" put your foot down and tell them that throwing in random places is not helpful as you are going over old ground. The shortlist is done, end of story.

I have a Manager who drives me mental. He gives me half a story and then when I have done a ton of research he gives me the other half. nightmare. I just ask him now if that is everything as once I have started I am not starting again.

Feel for you x

• Options

It's hard isn't it, especially with two people who are based in Sydney and are not here to manage up actively. I have a feeling next week will be interesting!!

• Options

Good luck showing them the options!

Sometimes it is easier when they are on site and can see for themselves the locations. Also can then manage their expectations easier. To move 150 people in London without coaches, that is tough!

Would it help to do a 'recap' email to them both, a list of possible options, a list of places tried and not avaliable and a list of other others of why certain places will not work (capacity issues/ already booked etc)  This way they can see easily how many you have thought of.

I feel you pain, clients like this can be quite frustrating! Good luck !