Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Would you tell your friend?

That she is too skinny?

Replies

• Options

If I was worried that she might be suffering, or unwell, and would do the same for an overweight friend as an underweight friend, then I'd say Yes, talk to her.

• Options

Yes if I had a feeling she had an eating disorder or was unwell.

• Options

Yes I would if I was concerned

• Options

Yes, but i doubt she'd take much notice.

• Options

As above.

• Options

yes but carefully. dont go in with the "im jealous you are so skinny. id love to be skinny" kind of attitude as that upset people as much as "you're fat"

• Options

It depends on the circumstances. Does she look ill, gaunt etc? Its hard because she might have some underlying issues and may not thank you for that. She might be really happy with how she looks and you could offend.

Unrelated note - Twink according to your ticker you are 60 weeks pregnant, you're a medical marvel!

• Options

It depends whether its not the norm for her or not... if she's been slowly getting thinner and thinner through dieting and has taken it a bit far, then maybe mention something, but bare in mind that some people are just naturally skinny. I am 5ft6 and 7 stone so pretty skinny, but its natural for me and I would be cheesed off if someone, even a friend, said that i was too skinny... i can't help being skinny and not being able to easily put on weight is as much a curse to me as I imagine someone big not being able to lose weight is to them.

• Options

What Nenas said. If its not normal for them, and you think theymay have a problem then yes I would. If its someone who has always been tiny then probably not so.

Are you thinking along the lines of an eating disorder??

Just to add that sometimes people loosing weight doesn't have to be about them thinking they are overweight. My cousin has suffered from anorexia for years but its not because he thinks he's fat...it was an obsession with the contents of food, not fat contents etc but whether they were ethically sourced, vegan, etc. He took it to an extreme and its made him really ill.

Could there be underlying factors that you know/don't know about that could be affecting then?

• Options

haha yes i am rod

• Options

No I wouldn't. Unless she asked my opinion. Anymore than I'd welcome her telling me I was too fat.

• Options

No. It's as offensive as telling someone that they're too fat.

• Options

This is really interesting to me the people that wouldn't tell their friends.  

I am and have been overweight for a long time, I would not have any problem with someone telling me so especially if it was affecting my health and other peopl ewere commenting on it.  If I had a friend who had lost a lot of weight and was too skinny and people were talking about that fact too (and I don't mean out of jealousy/envy) then I would say something, I think the easy option is to sit by and let someone damage themselves and say nothing.  the hard option is to man up and be a friend!

PS - I am also not talking about people who are naturally thin (I know a few of those too!) as unless they lost huge amounts or were ill I would think that is norm.  I mean people who diet to extremes and still think they have an issue, people who have lost so much weight they are disproportionate or someone who I feel is mentally having issues due to weight.  the same as If someone rapidly went up in weight or was sick due to being overweight.

• Options

Noone has mentioned people talking behind peoples back Ninabeanie. That is different and not being a friend. But if someone is overweight they know they are. If someone is skinny they know they are. What business is it of mine to point that out.

• Options

I';ll be back to this shortly - lost internet connection last night!

• Options

Belle

But if someone is overweight they know they are. If someone is skinny they know they are. What business is it of mine to point that out.

This.

• Options

depends if it was making them ill

• Options

1stbaby is obviously concerend enough (so this is out of the ordinary behaviour for said friend) then I would say it is her business, in being a good friend.  and also it's not about being "overweight" or "skinny" it's about being concerned for someone's health and wellbeing.

• Options

I've not read any concern? If it was "my friend has lost x amount, hardly eats, runs to the toilet after a meal, I'm concerned for her should I speak to her?" then my answer would be yes. But "Would you tell a friend that's she's too skinny?" my answer is no.