Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Do you/have you ever told your children the police would take them to jail if they were bad?

Hello

We've just seen this poster from Durham Police:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/126527.jpg

The Durham police released it, as part of a Facebook campaign aimed at making their officers more approachable, particularly in the eyes of children.

The poster says, 'Parents, please don't tell your children that we will take them off to jail if they are bad. We want them to run to us if they are scared. Not be scared of us." And it's been shared more than 57,000 times and liked by almost 40,000 people on Facebook.

Lots of people have agreed that children should know a police officer can help them if they're lost but others have said that children need to know that breaking rules, when they older, could get them into trouble with the police.

What do you think? Do you like the Durham police poster, and think it's a great idea? Or not? Have you ever threatened your children with going to jail/being taken away by the police if they're naughty?

Please do post on this thread to let us know your thoughts. We'd love to know!

Replies

• Options

I really love it. I think it's a great idea. I personally would not ever tell my children police would take them away if they misbehaved, in my opinion, it's not dealing with the reason they are misbehaving and instils an unhealthy view of the police. Love it.

• Options

Yes sometimes I like joking with children about stuff like this but now I think I will take a few minutes before saying that, it's a nice advice. Plus, if you say something like that, they will never trust police.