Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Like Barbie but more realistic: would you buy this doll for your daughter?

Hello everyone.

We've been reading about a new study suggesting that playing with Barbie dolls can make little girls less likely to think they can grow up to do the same kind of jobs that boys can.

And then we saw that there's a US artist called Nickolay Lamm, who's created a fashion doll with more realistic bodyshape proportions than the impossibly proportioned big-breasted, teeny-tiny-waisted Barbie.

Here's what Lammily, the new doll, looks like:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/_73411048_lammily3.jpg

What you think?

Would you buy this new doll for your child? Do you prefer how this doll looks to how Barbie looks? And, perhaps most importantly, do you think little girls would like this new doll better?

Do please tell!

Replies

• Options

My daughters is 5 and her favourite doll is a knock off barbie from the pound shop! She has cut its hair drawn all over its face and it has lost one arm! As long as she can play with it she doesn't care what it looks like xx

• Options

Arf at the one-armed knockoff Barbie, Sophiafisher. image

I think that's how Barbie would end up in our house, too!

• Options

I definitely wouldn't buy it. To me a doll is just that, a doll, doesn't look quite real but it's fun. Barbie doesn't look real she just looks like a doll. This would be more like playing with a shrunken real person, just weird.

• Options

There is no doubt that barbies success has been overall amazing although i like the style of thinking of the new Lamilly Doll maker, it is cleverly perhaps getting into the mind of the end user the child, and what the child wants, the only barrier ofcourse for the manufacturer is getting past the parent(s) who may not feel satisfied with the product. Variety is key and time will tell