Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When they're old enough to drive

Who has thought this far ahead?

I know I have a few more years until I have to worry about this, but talking to my eldest sister I realised that this can be a real financial issue- particularly when she has 3 kids- the eldest is turning 17 in July.

I think this article is a real eye-opener as to the amount of different aspects parents have to consider for their child's first car: http://blog.carfax.com/teens-first-car/ - Would you pay for their car? Even more so, their insurance, tax etc.

Really interested to see how many Mum's on here have had to go through this and how they approached it

Replies

• Options

My sister in law has twins that have just hit driving age. Thankfully she is in a position to support them financially. At the moment they have one practice car that they share while learning. 

They pay for their own lessons and she covers insurance. If and when they both pass I think she will be giving them an equal amount of money to get their own car. They will then be expected to cover insurance and fuel. 

If parents can afford to do it this way I think it's as good as any. I've got a while yet thankfully.