Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Donna Nook

For those of you who haven't heard of Donna Nook, it is not a person but an RAF bombing range on the Lincolnshire coast. At this time of year the seals come onto the beach to have their pups.
Anyway, we took Bronwyn today, not that she was interested. There have been 810 baby seal pups born so far this year and 1000 or so adult seals have been counted. There were loads of seals on the beach, some of them no more than 1m away from me, although there was a fence between us! Probably a good thing or I might have brought one home!!!

A bonus today, the RAF were practising their bombing by flying over and dropping flares!!! I was very excited! Its the little things in life!!!

If any of you live within driving distance its wel worth a visit! And all for a cost of £1 parking!!!!

Replies

• Options
    Wow, what a wonderful sight. I wish I could go up there and look. I saw seals in Cape Town, along with penguins, and you don't think of them living in the UK aswell. I'm sure when she's older Bronwyn will be as enchanted as you were by them. We have London Zoo on our doorstep and we took Bon there at Easter where a fixation with monkeys and giraffes developed. I do think it important to show children that these creatures exist outside of a book.
  • Options
    Hi Caroline,

I'm so glad you had a great time today. I am so jelous you saw the bombing, we've been three times just to see that and have not seen a thing!!! We'd love to come up and see the seal pups but this year's out. When does it start and we can plan for next year. It's a three hour journey for us to get their from home so it makes it a long day, we'd probably stay over somewhere for the night.

Take care, Zoe xx
  • Options
    Hiya Zoe!
    The plane was a Hercules and wasn't exactly bombing, more like practising dropping but was using flares. It was good to see though!

There are B&Bs that cater for people who are going to see the seals so I am sure that you would find somewhere.
    The first seal pup was born on Oct 28th but the end of November until New Year is the best time to go. Perhaps we could even meet up?
  • Options
    That would be great, however i would like to think we make it up to the area over Easter or the Summer first. Either way i'll let you know and we can make plans.

I think the baby show at Birmingham is the 16th to the 18th of May which is Friday to Sunday, it would be great if a few of us can all go on the same day and meet up, i'm excited just by the thought of it.
  • Options
    Caroline it sounds like you had a really nice time, would love to see something like that.

How are you all, have not chatted for ages xx
  • Options
    Donna Nook is amazing!! Nothing there unless the RAF are practising or there are seals there! And its not an all day outing, but its still a fantastic sight!!

The baby show would be a fab place to meet! It would be great is a few of use went! We'll have to see what, if anything, PP come up with before then!!!
  • Options
    Well i'm definately up for the baby show!

I'm glad you had a good day Caroline, it will be such a lovely place to take Bronwyn when she's older! xx
  • Options
    Im up for meeting at the baby show, when and where is it!
  • Options
    It's at the N.E.C in Birmingham and i think the dates are 16th to the 18th May however, i'm not too sure on the dates.
  • Options
    Well spotted, we should sort out a date and then book our tickets.
  • Options
    Hi guys,
    Caroline, im so pleased today went well for you, it sounds like a lovely experience. And Ant would love the planes. He was in the RAF cadets for years, so its right up his street.

Of course, we'll def be up for the babyshow.
    Cant wait. Hope you are all well
    Kas xx
  • Options
    Gweek seal sanctuary is cool, been there loads but as you say Boo, it is nice to see the seals in their natural habitat!

I love the place, going back to Donna Nook on Sunday, although as its a weekend it will be heaving!!!