Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Im getting a whizz in the kitchen

Hi all

A little something different.
Over the past week i have been cooking cakes and all sorts of yummies.

So far iv'e made german gingerbread(lebkuchen)ginger bread(loaf) and yesterday i made coconut macaroons.
It's all going realy well.

Anyone else been up to much.

Emma xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Emma,

I made some mince pies today with a new pastry recipe. Very nice even if i do say so myself!

Hope you and the children are all well.

Take care, Zoe xx
  • Options
    Hi Zoe

Yum yum! i might try the filo pastry mince pie,sainsburys have done a card thing on how to make them.

Kids are doing fine,both got slight sniffels but thats from the colds they had,so getting better i hope.

Chantelle was ment to have a visit with her mm again today but again she never turned up,that's 3week's in a row now and its not fair,the social are going to cancell all her visits if she misses them again.
    Anyway chantelle is rolling around and making a good effort at pushing her feet into the floor,not long before she's crawling i think.
    Riley's been great with her,his doing great at creche and looking forward to the possibility he might be going to school as of janunary.

xx
  • Options
    That's great Emma. I'm sorry about her mum, it's her loss though isn't it. Chantelle is lucky to have you.

The pastry i made was citrus using the rind of a lemon and orange, it was lovely. Will definatley do more.
  • Options
    Oooo that sounds realy nice,i dont mind the citrus flavours,have even got into eating fresh tomatoes which i have never done as didnt like them,oh and peppers all colours,its realy not me to do such a thing.weird huh!

xx
  • Options
    hiya Emma

sorry i missed you last night, i was busy making sugar craft flowers!! I've been doing a 5week evening class and the last one is next week, we are putting together a spray of flowers and as i'd only made a few so far i'm frantically trying to make something to put together!!!

I've realised it's definately not the right hobby for a mum of two young kids!!! I do love it though!

Anyway i'm glad Riley and Chantelle seem to be recovering from their colds. I'm sorry about her mum but as Zoe said it really is her loss and you're doing such a good job she's lucky to have you all.

I hope to catch you soon Take care xxx
  • Options
    I got a gingerbread house kit and heart biscuit tree hanger kits from ikes really cheap and had completly forgotten until i read Boo message! That'll keep Ethan entertained tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Im planning on doing Xmassy biccies too, and on the lookout for any other exciting ideas
  • Options
    I've got one of those gingerbread houses as well so I suppose I ought to phyche Bon up to doing it. I made rice krispy cakes with Bon last week with the dregs of the box and some easter egg that I never managed to eat. Naturally he won't eat them!

Speaking of cooking, I meant to tell you all - I was browsing in the library the other day and I found the 'Practical Parenting Cooking for Kids' cook book!
  • Options
    Well since Jessica's birthday i keep baking cakes, i have only done a victoria sponge and chocci cake, but that is very good for me!
    Might try my hand and some xmas biscuits next week.

Emma, im going to repeat what every one else has said about chantelles mum and that it her loss and thank god she has you. xx
  • Options
    I've got a fab recipe for ginger biscuits if anyone wants it. The dough rolls out so you can cut shapes for whatever the occaision, or just cut out men!!
  • Options
    Can i have it please
  • Options
    Me too please!! xxx
  • Options
    Hi girlies
    Thanks for your support,it is her who misses out but its just so unfair they ferry her back and forth for nothing.never mind if it happens again they will be stopping her visitation alltogether.

Hi tasha,the ice things sound lovely,id love to give it a go.

Anyway i have one for shortbread,nice and simple
    125g butter
    55g caster sugar
    180g plain flour
    1- heat oven 190oc/375of/gas 5.
    2- Beat together the butter and sugar until mixtuer is light and fluffy.
    3- Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste consistency.Turn out the mixture onto a floured surface and gently roll out to approx 1cm thick.
    4- Cut out shapes and sprinkle with a little caster sugar.
    5- place on a baking tray and refrigerate for 20min.Then transfer to oven and bake for 15-20mins unil they are pale golden.Once cooked remove and leave to cool.
  • Options
    Thanks Emma, will try it next week.
  • Options
    Hi Emma. Just want to repeat what everyone else has said, that you are just one in a million for taking on Chantelle. I can't understand how her mum doesn't want to see her, is there something we don't know or is she just not deserving of the title 'mother'? I met a pretty grim 'mother' when my son was in NICU, I say met, she came to visit her son once in the two weeks we were there.
  • Options
    Hi nicolette
    She's supposed to be suffering PND.Im not one to judge but she has a 2yr old son and had nothing to do with him till he could walk and talk.(cant cope with the baby demands)
    My nephew was in scbu and my sister never left him neither did my mum.
    Just one of them things i suppose.
  • Options
    Hi Emma!

I too have got the baking bug! I am into cherry scones and rock cakes! I am going to move onto muffins next!!!!

Yum Yum Yum!
  • Options
    Oh i love carrot muffins,made them for ages then had to stop.mil told me to as she kept eating them.hehe!

xx