Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Has anyone here had this turn out alright

Ok anyone who has read my other posts on here will no I am going slowly insane after getting a bad result on my NT scan. The gap is 6mm when its only supposed to be 1-2mm this suggests the baby has a genetic problem and the bigger the gap the more posibility that there is a problem. My OBGYN is wiling to put money on this baby having a gentic abnormality. I had a CVS (like an amnio) yesterday and will probably know some of the results tomorrow. I am totally freaked as if there is a problem with the baby my partner very strongly wants to terminate. I am very conflicted but can see where he is coming from in some ways it makes sense to me.

Has anyone here had a baby with a NT gap this large and it turned out ok? I really need to know as I spent half the night in tears last night I am so worried. I don't want to terminate me baby I feel like a murderer its horrible after seeing bub moving about on there like normal really I feel like well how disabled can this kid be when it was practically doing the YMCA dance in there. Obviously the child's limbs are fine and apparently the heart is beating away normally.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sorry had to scream this situation is so frustrating and I am sick of obsessing but I can't stop. The last thing I want to do is terminate a child with only a mild disability if it has any at all in fact the last thing I want to do is terminate full stop. I am just spending the time waiting for results looking for hope and answers. I stopped looking up what types of things could be wrong as its just scary.

Replies

• Options
    Oh hun ((hugs)))

I dont know what the solution is Im afraid but you really need to do whats best for you.
    I havent had an experience of this personally but I did know someone who had a very large gap(in the region of 7 1/2mm)and she went on to have a termination. She regrets making such a quick decission but it was what was best for her at the time.
    I think you should wait till you get the results, it could be nothing or something very little??
    You may have to think about the condition of the child, will they have a good quality of life?, will they be in pain?, will you be able to be the primary caregiver ?etc. I think those are some of the things you need to discuss with your consultant once you have the results. Dont try and make a dicssion on your own, you need alot of support and quite frankly your oh needs to support you what ever happens. If he is set on a termination he needs to wait for the results and listen to all the facts before making up his mind.

Wishing you goodluck and sending your bean possitve vibes too.
    Whatever happens babe you will be fine.

Takecare hun, let us know how you are /???XXXXX
  • Options
    hi

will write more later as on way to pick up kids but, my mate had this and had a CVS test after been told she had a 1 in 7 chance of the baby having problems. She had a call the next day to say all was fine for most things....3 days later a call confirmed all was fine on all the tests ran. She had a beautiful girl in May 05 who is perfect in every way with no problems at all. The thickness was 5.5 for the NT..

good luck

must dash!

d xx
  • Options
    Hi

Ive searched google and there are lots of positive stories regarding thick measurments turning out to be a fatty layer on back of neck, and although the risk is great (ive read 1 in 7) there is still 6 babies that are fine. I really hope all is ok and as babs said you really need to weigh up the whole situation as i know you are doing.

My friends twins have Turners and it has been really really hard. I know that personally i would choose an abortion as i have other children to think about but fingers crossed all will be ok.

Im thinking and praying for all of you

xxDBxx
  • Options
    Thats my problem doublebubble I have two other children to think about and whatver I choose I have to take them into consideration no matter how hard the descision may be. Thats really the only thing making me waver more towards termination just to be fair to them. Still it tears me apart and I am devistated. I might get the results tomorrow so I will let everyone know how it goes. Thankyou for your replies and support.
  • Options
    Hi hun (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) I dont really know what to say other than I am thinking of you and really hope it all turns out ok. xxxxxx
  • Options
    hi my cousin had a high risk result and had cvs it turned out fine her lil girl had no problems. think positive hun and whatever you decide all the best xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Hi again, I was thinking about you loads lat night, My friend who I was at school with has 4 children, her 4th child born last year has downs syndrome, they didnt know before she was born and obviously it was a shock but she is the most gorgeous little girl, she has had her share of medical problems, she had to have heart surgery at 3 months and my friend said she felt guilty becuase her older 3 were left with her mum whilst she was at great ormond street, but the children have taken it all in their stride anadore their sister, they dont see her as a child with downs nor do the children they just see her as their daughter/sister. I know it must be soooo hard when you have other children to consider and I really dont know what I would do in your situation, In your heart you will know whatever is the right thing for you to do. xxxxxxx