Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Need advice from bfing mummies :)

Right where do i start image

Evan has always been a bit of a pig, fed hourly since about 3days old...hes now coming up 13wks and were still doing this and im starting to get down about it. Im worried my milk isnt enough for him, hes always grumpy and tired and wants to feed constantly sometimes less than an hour between feeds, i feel like thats all i do and obviously i have my other two who get no attention from me at the minute and i feel awful :cry: I never bfed this long before so i really dont know if this is normal...well i know its not normal for him to feed so often, and in the back of my mind im really worried hes starving which is why he so unhappy...hes doesnt play at all just constantly roots for food :cry: But id be so gutted if i had to stop bfing, i love it, but im worried im being selfish and putting my feelings in front of what Evan actually needs :\( Help xxx

Replies

• Options
    HI - well done for continuing to breastfeed even though it feels like it is never ending and you feel guilty about your other children!!! I felt exactly the same but my 3rd is over 2 now (still breastfeeding) and the other 2 don't appear to have suffered any lasting damage from all of my neglect!!! How old are your other 2?
    The main things you need to go on to know if he is getting enough milk is his weight and nappies - if he is putting on weight (and bf babies usually put on weight slower than formula fed babies) and doing lots of wet nappies. BF babies usually poo a lot too but not all - my 3rd didn't poo for a week when she was 10 days old.
    If you have been feeding that frequently since he was born you should have enough milk but one of the few situations in which he is feeding that frequently but not putting on weight is if he has a tongue tie - had anyone checked him for one?
    The best ways of increasing milk supply are frequent feeding and offering both sides each feed. There is also herbal and normal medication you can take to increase your milk supply.
    I'm assuming that he has had his 6-8 week doctors check and everything was ok?
    I would also suggest that you try to find a local breastfeeding support group or contact the NCT or La Leche League for support and advice.
    You really are doing a wonderful job and should be proud of yourself. The constant feeding and tiredness won't last for ever and meanwhile your other children will be fine if you can find a few minutes for them individually every day.
    Hope that helps xxx
  • Options
    hi hun luca was constantly on the boob lol and now still searches for them lol my elder two did moan about not getting mummy time so i always sat down with a story book to read them whilst feeding lo. i kept going until 11 months and it was exhausting but i miss it soo much now so id suggest persevering if you can and get lots of rest (easier said than done) to boost your milk supply xxxx
  • Options
    hii

I know how you feel. I am still BF my 5th who is 15 months.

I was fine with Amelia but struggled with my 3rd (he was the first one i totally BF) I tried the switch feeding. Once he had fed off say the left boob and I had felt the milk come in and he was gulping and getting lots of milk i would give him 10 mins or so and then wind him and then put him on the other boob. This stimulates that boob to make some more milk. For the next feed I started on the one that I ended with and then switched to the other one after winding ( hope this makes sense) I also wore a band on my wrist so I knew which boob to start with. If all this seems a bit complicated then feed baby on say the right boob and then express from the left straight after. You should only need to do this for a few days and you will feel the differnece in your boobs are they make more and more milk. Your baby is prob going through a growth spurt and your boobs need to catch up! obviously you could just top up with some formula but if you really really want to BF then I would not recomend this as you will probably end up giving more and more formula.

As arg said i too got books out of put on a fav dvd and chatted to the boys while I was BF Amelia. This worked. My friend gave me a good tip for when they are playing up and you are BF...she had a shoe box full of treats that she brought out when the going got tough.... paper, crayons, sweets etc... just daft little party bag favour type things that the kids love.

good luck

d xx
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your lovely replies ladies image

The thing is he has lovely weight gain - started off slow in the first 3wks but since then he gained 9oz weekly from 3-9wks then 5oz a wk from 9-11wks, am getting him weighed on weds when hel be 13wks...will be intresting as hes been at his worst the past 2wks and its making me worry about my supply not meeting his needs. I asked my doctor about his feeding and he appears fine, alert etc, i did ask about medication to boost my supply but he said they really dont like using it as it has bad side effects, and as he isnt losing its not an issue anyway, he mentioned early weaning (b4 6months) instead. He has lots of wet nappies, poos are fine can go a few days a time without and go constantly all day so not worried in that way....my main concern is the milk isnt filling him, he doesnt sleep in the day (unless in my arms) oh gave him a bottle of formula today (3oz) and he slept for 4hrs :\( hes never had a nap this long and il add he had been on the breast all morning prior to that and whinging, pulling away etc :cry: i know the milks there and he always has both breast each feed and drains them....i just really dont want to give up :cry: Oh has 2wks off starting 2morrow - no school run etc (altho were moving on weds....) so i think im going to see how the next 2wks go, i can constantly feed him not worrying about getting the other two from school and hopefully he may settle down :\) Thank you for your replies again - dee dee - this is how i feed the piggy anyway but thanks for the advice, i love the basket idea and will be giving that a go in the week image