Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Qu about ur 2nd,3rd,4th etc labour

Sorry I know Im G/C but as you have all given birth at least 2, I thought you were the best people to ask.

You hear stories/rumours about 2nd time labours etc but just interested to know how true they are.

A quick view of my first labour. Our dd was born 37wks our dates (36wks hospital dates). Water broke around 1am, went to hospital around 1030 with contractions every 7mins. Active labour was 90mins and daughter born at 315pm. Oh and I was told the contractions i was feeling when i first got to the hospital were nothing and I shouldn't be feeling anything! Never told how far gone I was and actually thought I had ages to go. Did the whole labour on 1g of dissolved paracetamol!

questions...
1) are 2nd labours actually quicker?
2) Those of you who had a lo born before 40wks, were any of your labours after this birth early too?

Husband needs to take 6wks (supposedly) notice for holiday. Not taking paternity leave as only gets 4wks off for illness, unplanned/emergencies etc for the year. If he takes more than this off then he risks not passing his 2nd yr post graduating. He obviosuly doesnt want to use 2wks of this with paternity leave. He has to take 2 weeks hol, before the end of nov, so makes sense to use his hol as Baby due 29th oct.
Does he take weeks 40+41 off, or does he try to get wk 38 off? My mum will be down for half term which is my wk 39. If only we new when losd due date was lol!

hoping for an evening or w/e to give birth as i know hubby will be around and there will be someone nearby to look after lo! Whats the chances of this happening lol...

Will be interested to see how your labours all panned out....

Replies

• Options
    Hmm, difficult one, my first was 3 days early and I had a long labour (45 hours) my 2nd was 5 days late and had a 4 1/2 hour labour, 3rd was 6 days late and had a 4 1/2 hour labour and 4th was 1 day late (although by my dates 3 days early) and 1 hr 50min labour, I guess you can never tell xxxx
  • Options
    HI

like Hayley said, you can never tell.
    1) Long long long breech vaginal with forceps, episiotomy, tearing etc.... she was 3 days early

2) Induced at 37 weeks. 9 hour labour. Quick delivery

3) Born on due date after waters breaking and 15 hour labour

4) Born 3 days late after just over a2 hour labour

5) nearly 6 weeks early EMCS due to placenta previa

I have delivered on a Sunday, Thursday, Saturday, Friday and a Monday. Just need 2 more and will have all days of the week lol

I have delivered 2 in the morning, 2 mid afternoon and my last just after midnight. So therefore no ryhme or reason for me!!!

Good luck anyway

d xxx
  • Options
    same goes here, all mine born on different days of the week, also several days/weeks before due date lol so cannot really help. I had three in the early hours of morning and 1 in the early evening lol

I would just have a week off before your due date and the week after, at least then you still get quality time together, getting things ready, having down time etc even if you dont have the baby on your due date and then you can add the paternity leave on as and when its actually needed.
  • Options
    i'm having same problem with paternity leave etc, my last 2 lo's were both born at 35 weeks, so does he take week 34 and 35 off??? or wait??? heres my labours etc.

1 = born at 36+4 wks, 4 hour labour lo born on a saturday at 03:58am weight 6lbs 3oz

2 - born at 38+4 wks, 2 hr 29mins from first twinge, born on a weds at 10:33pm weight 6lbs 8oz

3 = waters broke at 34+6wks, didn't labour until 35+1wks, 8 1/2 hrs labour then emcs on a friday at 1:33pm, weight lbs 15oz

4 = waters broke again at 34+6wks, baby born at 35 wks after 2 hr labour on a friday at 7:36pm, weight 4lbs 9oz

i am expecting lo 5 in april, and since lo 4 is only 6 months now, i'm hoping i sneeze and this one falls out lol.

and they can't find a reason why the youngest 2 lo's waters went at the same gestation, (the only difference between them and the older 2 is that the younger 2 have a different father so could be something genetic) xxx
  • Options
    one thing mine have in common is their birthdays.

i have 2 on the 24th, 2 on the 26th (my date also) and one on the 28th!!!!! Not all the same months tho 2 are in Feb... weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    My labours so far

1 - DD Born at 39 + 3, seven hours from first twinge (4pm) to being born (11.10pm), was back to back - we arrived at the birth centre at 7.55pm was 8cm dilated and waters were in tact - at 10.50pm was still 8cm so they broke my waters and within 20mins i had gone to 10cm and delivered her with lots of stitches as a result - no pain relief except G&A whilst being stitched.

2 - DS Born at 39 + 4 by my dates 40+ 6 by scan dates (i stuck to my dates though) - Woken by my alarm at 6.45 - went to the loo had a huge clear out sorry tmi - no contractions then waters broke at 7am and contractions came thick and fast from nowhere - told hubby to ring midwife as i was having a homebirth - halfway through dialing i told him to hang up and ring 999 as the baby was coming now - all a bit blurry after that but the time of the call to the ambulance service operator was recorded as 7.13am and Felix's birth was timed at 7.34am delivered by hubby and me with the help of the operator lol - ambulance took a further 15 mins to arrive then they couldn't find scissors for the cord and the midwife who was coming got lost and didn't arrive till after 8.30am, almost an hour after delivery which was dire really!

3 - DD 2 - born at 39 + 5 - again planned homebirth - woke at 3.45am with mild but regular twinges, got in the heated pool we'd hired at 4.15 and told hubby to ring birthcentre to send the on call midwife (was under strict instructions to ring the minute i thought i was in labour due to the speed of baby no2), they said she was on her way, I got him to call back at 4.45 as the midwife still wasn't here and i needed to push DD2 was born with just hubby and I at 5.01am in the pool- was amazing - midwife arrived 5 mins too late but I didn't care.

Now expecting no4 due in November, hubby keeps joking that i'll cough hard sometime after bonfire night and find the baby in my tights (thanks hubby thats very sensitive lol)

No real pattern really except all quick, different times of day, two born on a saturday (both girls) son born on a monday, by my dates all around the same gestation give or take a day.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
    Jo xxx
  • Options

DS1 -40+4 born on 21st October after waters breaking 10th but no contractions till late the next night after 1st contraction he was born in under 5 hours.

DS2 - 40+2 - 6th January - a harder labour but was born aoround 8 hrs after my waters breaking but i had been having contractions all night before.

DS3 - 41+1 19th June - went in to be induced, they broke my waters, saw meconium & induced me by IV. had him 7ish hours later VERY painful though.

DD1 - 39+4 - 7th June contractions started at night after a sweep 4 day earlier and i hasd her the next morning about 10 hours after first contracion.

mine have no patterns either they were born at

4.03am
    6.58pm
    8.17pm
    8.12am

so all mine differ too.

DS3 - induced