Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What is a slow cooker ??

Ive seen posts about this before but have no clue what it is and why you would use it other than an oven ?

Can someone tell me what it is and what sort of dinners you cook in it ? We mainly eat vegetarian so would it be worth it in our house ??

Replies

• Options
    fantastic - thats what it is, i am using mine tomorrow for a sausage casarole ( i know you want be making this! LOL) but you can literally put everything in set it to low/med/high and leave it!!! i quite often put mine on in morning so dinner is ready and i don't have to worry about making it at night.
    i'm sure someone will have vegitarian ides for one sorry i don't, love fiona
  • Options
    Hiya

I'm not veggie but only use veggie mince, veggie sausages etc.. The only meat I use is chicken (and I use that loads!!!)

I use whatever meat or meat substitute I going to, some veggies from Asda or Tesco which come in a bag frozen, think they are just called casserole vegetables.. Then I either add stock or one of the Colmans sauces, switch it on and then eat when I get home!!!

HTH

C xx
  • Options
    The best invention ever! I would be lost without mine. They're like a crock pot, they're electric-mine has 3 settings-low, medium, high. It doesn't matter what you put in, it all comes out tasting lush. I cook 80 percent of our meals in it! It's so much better than an oven as you can do the prep the night before then just turn it on low in the morning, you don't have to check it at all, you just leave it all day and by teatime it's perfect.

I cook-spag bol, chilli, curry, casseroles, beef bourginion, soups.

Tonight I did my 'condensed chicken', it took me 10 minutes. I chopped an onion, celery, pepper , mushrooms and chicken-chucked it in to cooker, mixed in a tin of condensed mushroom soup. The crock pots gone in the fridge, I'll turn it onto low at 8am tomorrow before work, when I get in at 4pm it'll be done, all I'll gave to do is boil some rice and then I've only got 2 pots to wash up after!

I'm sure you could adapt most recipes using quorn etc.

Genius!xx
  • Options
    i always joke that we would starve with out our slow cooker . i cook soup /lentail chilli/ sweet potatoe curry / quorn spagbol/ lighty grease add jacket potatoes cook all day and then stick in a really hot oven for about15 minutes to crisp up or quater the potatoes spray with spray light sprinkle with herbs or spices of choice and again pop into a really hot oven to crisp
  • Options
    I've got one and I like it, but am yet to fall in love with it. So I'd love for p.bob and hollypolly to post your recipes.

I find that even on low 3-4hs for chicken is long enough. So I dread to think what it would be like if I left it for 8hrs.

I've done the condensed chicken thing but a little different by adding salsa and fajita mix. That was lush.

I've never made anything with quorn in it yet as I'm still experimenting. Might do my beef casserole in it on Thursday if anyone can reccommend good recipe ?

Oh, and not only is it easier but I think slow cooker on all day is probably less expensive on electricity than gas oven on for 4hrs to do a casserole. S x
  • Options
    lental chilli(low 6-8 hours)
    tinned chopped tomtoes /tomatoe puree/ onion/mushroom/peppers/lentals which have been soaked over night/ kindey beans /herbs/chilli powder to taste
    for spag boll just leave out chilli and beans and add quorn in place of lentals

sweet potatoe curry(low6-8hours)
    sweet pototoes/carrots/onions/button mushrooms/tin of chick pea/passata or chopped tomatoes/curry powder to taste
    quorn is great but needs to be cooked with somthing with a lot of flavour or can taste a bit bland.if you want to set your slow cooker up before going out but dont want it to come on for another few hours you can use one of the timmers which switch your lamps on while on holiday