Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Did anyone have their babies early due to placenta previa?

Hi,

I have been bleeding on and off (and in & out of hospital) since I was 14 weeks pregnant. I am 24 weeks pregnant on Thursday so have to go for a scan to check if the bleeding has affected the baby's growth. The doctors have told me to prepare myself for having the baby early - how early depends on how effectively my placenta is working.

Did anyone else have placenta previa? Or did you know in advance that your baby was going to be early? I'm trying to prepare myself, but I don't really know how to. Even the practical stuff - like should I start buying things for the baby now? I haven't bought a thing because I'd love to go shopping for them properly, but I can't go out (I'm not on strict bed rest, but have been told to only potter around my house). I know I can buy off the internet, but it just doesn't seem the same somehow.

Thanks very much for any advise you can give me,
Kate

Replies

• Options
    hi there

My last baby which was my 5th was early. I too bled on and off all pregancy. At the 20 week scan my placenta was low but not previa. I had a large bleed at about 30 weeks and about 2 weeks later they scanned me and I was previa. Unfortunatly I also had accreta which is where part of all of the placent inbeds very deeply into the womb. This should have been picked up a lot earlier.

I was put on immed bed rest and told not to lift anything heavier than a cup of tea.

I was due to go in hosp at 36 weeks and deliver at 37.

However, just a few days before I was 35 weeks I started heamorraging at home. What happened next was a long and dramatic tale which ihave posted on traumatic births if you want to read it.

I had emerg c section and lo came out OK but needed resussitating. She was whisked off to SCBU while they delivered my placenta. This went a lot better than they thought it would and they did not need hysterectomy. They sterilised me though as I did not want any more babies.

Amelia was fine after about 24 hours but needed to stay in for phototherapy and she was not good at maintaining body temp. Took her home at 36 weeks and she has been great ever since. My recovery was slow as they cut me very long so that 2 suregeons could get their hands in to deliver the placenta. She is now 9 months and still petite but lovely!!!

Good Luck

d xxxx
  • Options
    heya i'm 17+1 and been told to expect my lil girl early as placenta has bled. Had scan today and there not sure if it.s previa but the bleeding in the womb has lessened so hopefully baby won't be too prem. image doc says as long as the bleeding isn't in vast amounts it shouldn't be a big problem. But to expect spotting through out pregnancy. As long as baby is past 24 weeks if it decides it wants to be here the odds of survival are above 50% so she said. But odds increase every week. It is worrying but babys are tough. image
  • Options
    hey,

thanks ladies for your replys - i haven't been on here for a very long time because i've had my hands full with my gorgeous baby boy! but i just thought i'd write in case anyone else is going through what i went through and to tell you everything turned out fine and i have the most beautiful boy!

he was early, but only a month in the end and i had been given steroids at 28 weeks, so he only needed to be tubed for oxygen for a short while and didn't have to go to special care.

hope you and your little ones are all well and happy and excited for christmas. lots of love xxx